Amp Stories 2 - Virgo portable amp from master ROCOON
Apr 10, 2009 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SEAsonSolt

New Head-Fier
Amps stories 2
Foreword:
It’s nice to meet everybody here.
I am a “theme editor” from www.erji.net,one of the best forum in China and even Asian areas which focus on headphone, earphone, Amps , portable Amps and so on.
Recently I often surf the head-fi forum for more info which can’t find on Aisan forums .
My interests into head-fi was piqued by Master EFN here , his description of Minibox-E+ is great and just like my view on this little amp.

Here is the blockbuster, portable Amp Virgo !!

DSC04329.jpg

[size=xx-small]Pictures of my Virgo ---(second-hand, standard version )[/size]

A251519B3FBFE5AC01D4C0E645730E7D_50.jpg

6A4F5C3A468A88B971A326D7C3FB6133_50.jpg

[size=xx-small]Pictures of Virgo ---found from google[/size]

Chinese lacquer :
The lacquer ware is one of exquisite Chinese crafts. Chinese lacquer ware has a long history dating back as early as the New Stone Age. The original wares in China were those coated with black and red lacquers. From the Shang Dynasty to the Han, colorful painting, gold inlaying and other techniques were introduced into the making of lacquer ware. The oldest lacquer ware discovered dates back to the Warring State Period (403--221 BC) when lacquer ware was popular. Chinese lacquer is a natural varnish made from the sap of the lacquer tree.

11842266250.jpg

[size=xx-small]A mural painting of Buddha which was painted with Chinese lacquer[/size]

[size=xx-small]
11958897270.jpg
[/size]

[size=xx-small]Virgo-black also painted with Chinese lacquer. Magic-box
ksc75smile.gif
? or Pandora
ksc75smile.gif
?[/size]

The wood:
Wood are pick from Chinese yew, Dalbergia, and Walnut that produce timber used to suited for high-quality furniture-making. Actually I don’t quite care about the wood, I just want it looks sexy and charming.

The process:
Known from master ROCOON ‘s blog, making a virgo will last 3 months and it can be customed for different style. Which I believe is really a luxury!

Conclusion :
In this review, I mostly focus on the process of making a vrigo amp. I hope you like it .though there do exist culture differences. But this natural-oriented, customer-oriented product , should always be easy to accepted.
Close to natural, feel a sense of release. Virgo amp is coming!

Thanks for reading.
thanks to average joe ,duqqeh

update:
1:Some people double this review is a marketing ploy.
With apologies, I believe it is mostly because of my poor English expression leading to some misunderstanding.
The purposes I write this review are just
a)Promote my written english skills
b) Share some interesting amps with so many friends here .
and most imortant is:
As far as I kown,the amp Virgo isn't on sell now, even in China, I just borrow one from a friend luckly.
2:I am student now study in Nanjing University China, since it's one of the best University in China, I usually works hard and do not have full time to complete this review
I will serialize this review and complete it before the end of this month.

thanks!

update Sound review 04/16/2009

DSC04318.jpg

Ready for the shootout!

Build Quality:
Minibox-E+It’s nice and small. Use Li-Ion battery. Well built and solid, although I don’t think anyone would describe it as pretty. Use flywheel volume and the volume levels have been marked.
Tips:
Use the Li-Ion battery properly: Do not charge it when it’s working, it may be hurt the protection-[size=small]circuitry[/size][size=small]. And do not use the power up, leaving a 30% power then to charge it will [/size]keep your battery lasting longer
Virgo (see section: [size=small]Chinese lacquer, The wood,and, [/size]The process
before )

Treble:
Virgo: Perfect smooth extension and air, and good detail.
Compare with Minbox-E+:perhaps one would feel that Vrigo provide less detail than Minibox-E+(5534op), but it just sound good, never make you feel tired like ME+5534.

Midrange:
Virgo: The most exciting part! What a charming, attractive sound I have ever heard ! whatever female voice or male voice ,it give you a little warm but neutral sound. Exactly, it can peace your mind, and forget all unhappiness. Magic sound!
Compare with Minbox-E+: WOWAD8065 gives me goose-bumps. Unlike Vrigo’s
Peaceful voice ME+ give me a enthusiasticpassional sound.

Bass:
Virgo: Deep but not too much, tuneful, quality is excellent! (I am not a bass lover.)
Compare with Minbox-E+ME+(8065) provide a punchy bass, strong than Virgo, but not as tight as Virgo , a little bloat.

Neutrality:
Virgo: Though sound a little warm but the sound does not colored it’s just loyal to the source ,I describe that clear and warm sound as hot spring, since one would say that the spring is colored.

Compare with Minbox-E+:ME+(OPA) is Very balance and neutral.

Soundstaging:
Virgo:I feel the sound is just there, well defined, image specificity is very good and the stage is wide, but not as deep as ME+(AD8056).
Compare with Minbox-E+A little forwarddeeper than Virgo. But less wide.

Transparency:
Virgo:I just love it. As clear as spring and slightly lush sounding, but still remains highly transparent.
Compare with Minbox-E+:Magic feeling with 5534OP, highly transparent! But listening it in a long time may make you feel tired.

[size=small]I would describe amp Vrigo as hot spring again, you can listen it for a long time without feeling tired. Unlike most comfortable-oriented designed amps, Vrigo does not colored that really wow me ! I would like spent my holiday with it, enjoying the feeling of peace. Far away from the noisy society .[/size]
[size=small]If like this feeling ,Virgo may suit you, it’s a charming amp design for most earphone especially IEMs. In my opinion ,it can really stellar er4 and pk1. Make er4 more popular, and pk1 more smooth. [/size]

[size=small]Thanks for reading. [/size]

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #5 of 5
Hi Season-solt, I just stumbled upon ROCOON virgoϵÁбãЯ¶ú·Å ¶ú»ú´ó¼Ò̳ ¶ú»ú,¶úÈû,¶ú»ú·Å´óÆ÷,ËæÉíÌý,DIY,ÒôÀÖ and was attracted by the woody amps. But I can't type chinese and then found this link here and would like to ask you a few questions:

1) If I will be going to Hong Kong or China, is there any where to go to that I can try it out and buy it from? Address or links would be appreciated.

2) As the case is made of wood, is there any irritating interference with mobile phones in use nearby?

3) What is the impedance range of headphones that it can drive well?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back