Amp recommendations to pair with HD 650
Mar 27, 2017 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

RatPatrol01

New Head-Fier
So obviously this is like the millionth thread on here and every other audio forum asking a similar question, but after two days of searching, I can't find any asking the question with my specifics.

I'm trying to find a desktop headphone amp to go with my new HD 650s for around $200-$300. Every thread I've come across always ends up being for a tiny budget, or an unlimited one, so every time it ends up as a recommendation for a Magni, an O2, or a 3-channel Beta 22, none of which are what I'm looking for.

I currently have an original Asgard running off a Modi 2, but it's developed a persistent buzz, and while getting it fixed is an option, I'm kinda in the mood to try something new.

The obvious choice is an Asgard 2, but just getting the new version of something I've been using for 3 years just seems boring. Also on my short list is a Bottlehead Crack or a Darkvoice 336se, but I'm not sure I wanna deal with tubes. Finally, my local audio shop has a Rega Ear MkII that I really like but $400 is a bit more than I really want to spend.

I feel like there's gotta be more stuff out there at this price range, can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 5
Darkvoice 336SE, $214-$250.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se

It cost me less then $20 for two spare (upgrade?) tubes.

I do not see much of an "issue" with using tube amps.

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 5
I would stretch a bit and get the Valhalla 2. That is a great amp for the HD 650 headphones.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 5
Valhalla is a great Tube amp....great value at the price point. How about LYR 2...a HYBRID amp. Gives flexibility to go totally Solid State or Tubes according to mood or inclination... works well with my HD650...

Higher than your indicated budget but perhaps worth the extra

Users who are viewing this thread

Back