Amp recommendations for UM3X? (Specific)
Nov 28, 2009 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

unclejr

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a mini3 amp that improves the low frequency resolution compared to the iPod. I want an amp that preserves this and fixes the hiss. Some warmth in the midrange is good, though I don't want to sacrifice the high frequency detail.

Music: Symphonic, chamber, jazz, hip hop, R&B, soul, blues (in descending order of listening frequency)
Source: iPod classic (2009), ALAC, AAC 320 kbps
IEMs: Westone UM3X

Requirements for the amp:
1. No hiss
2. Rechargeable battery
3. Preferably no gain switch/bass boost, etc.
4. Portability does not matter, but I'd prefer to have an amp with a mini stereo jack (so most portables and not most desktop amps)
5. "Price is not important ... when you sing to your girl friend, and her heart SCHWAM-BOOM fall down on the floor then you say thank you Don!"

Recommendations?

Nov 29, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 13
Last time I used iBasso amps, I had hiss. This is from 3 of their older amps though, the T2, D2, and D10. That was also with TF10's and not UMX3s.

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 13
i have the UM3X, and i'm currently deciding between the RSA Shadow and the ALO Rx.

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have the UM3X, and i'm currently deciding between the RSA Shadow and the ALO Rx.

What were your criteria for narrowing down your search?

Nov 29, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 13
Istn the T3 the ibasso amp designed for IEMs?

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What were your criteria for narrowing down your search?

i want an amp that will do 3 things:

1. crystallize the treble. UM3X has good treble extension, but can be a bit recessed. EQ does fine, but amping really puts the high end right.

2. broaden the soundstage. the UM3X has a tight, intimate soundstage with good instrument separation. amped, the soundstage broadens out just right, to give a more realistic sense of space without getting too big.

3. tighten up the bass. the UM3X has great extension and the bass is exactly as present as i like it. the amp will make it a bit punchier and more groovy.

the UM3X is already incredibly dynamic, so i'm sure any amplification will bring that out more.

IMHO, bass is the easiest thing for an amp to handle. that's why almost everyone comments on how great the bass is when they get a new amp, no matter what it is. it's trickier, i think, to make an amp that handles dynamics, soundstage and detail right. from all the comments i've read, it seems that the Rx and Shadow get the most right in the areas i'm concerned with.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i want an amp that will do 3 things:

1. crystallize the treble. UM3X has good treble extension, but can be a bit recessed. EQ does fine, but amping really puts the high end right.

2. broaden the soundstage. the UM3X has a tight, intimate soundstage with good instrument separation. amped, the soundstage broadens out just right, to give a more realistic sense of space without getting too big.

3. tighten up the bass. the UM3X has great extension and the bass is exactly as present as i like it. the amp will make it a bit punchier and more groovy.

the UM3X is already incredibly dynamic, so i'm sure any amplification will bring that out more.

IMHO, bass is the easiest thing for an amp to handle. that's why almost everyone comments on how great the bass is when they get a new amp, no matter what it is. it's trickier, i think, to make an amp that handles dynamics, soundstage and detail right. from all the comments i've read, it seems that the Rx and Shadow get the most right in the areas i'm concerned with.

I am all for this. x2 from me. I am really thinking of either the Shadow or the RX but I'm not sure which... a lot of people say the Shadow will get the job done though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back