Amp Recommendations for Sennheiser HD 600/V-Moda Crossfade M-100?
Jan 14, 2016 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bobjohnson201

New Head-Fier
So I am debating of getting either the Sennheiser HD 600 or the V-Moda Crossfade M-100, but from what I have been seeing here is that using an amp with the Sennheiser's is highly recommended to get the most out of it.  My budget would be about $150, and I plan on using the headphones with my Samusng Ativ Book 9 Plus Laptop.  It would be a bonus if I could use the amp with my iPhone 6s as well, but is not a must.  What amps would you guys recommend?  I mainly listen to EDM and Hip-Hop, but also listen to Pop and Alternative.  The amp does not need to be portable.  References to a little background info would be great too since I am pretty new to this!  

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 10
The Sennheiser HD600 really needs to be use with a decently powerful headphone amplifier.
You can read up and ask on this thread about a headphone amplifer, for use with the HD600.
You might end up going over your $150 budget.

Where as the V-Moda is more amplifier optional, but a decent headphone amplifier, with a very low output impedance, might be a nice option for use with the V-Moda.
A Fiio E17K could be used as a DAC/amp with any computer (PC or Mac, desktop or laptop) and as an amplifier with your phone.
The E17K's very low output impedance should help the V-Moda with audio detail.

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #3 of 10
  The Sennheiser HD600 really needs to be use with a decently powerful headphone amplifier.
You can read up and ask on this thread about a headphone amplifer, for use with the HD600.
You might end up going over your $150 budget.

Where as the V-Moda is more amplifier optional, but a decent headphone amplifier, with a very low output impedance, might be a nice option for use with the V-Moda.
A Fiio E17K could be used as a DAC/amp with any computer (PC or Mac, desktop or laptop) and as an amplifier with your phone.
The E17K's very low output impedance should help the V-Moda with audio detail.

Yeah that's what I thought.  When you say "decently powerful" headphone amplifier, what are the key specs I should look for?  I have done some searching at it looks like some people have went with the Schiit Magni 2, or some of the Fiio Products.  How do these compare?  Is a separate DAC necessary?

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #4 of 10
While both the headphones you're looking at are good they are just about polar opposites in terms of sonic signature. For your musical tastes I'd go with the V-Moda's. I've owned the M-100 in the past and currently own the HD 650 so I know the differences. As said already the HD 600 will need a decent amp from the likes of Garage 1217, Schiit, Bottlehead etc, etc. The M-100 doesn't need an amp but will perform better with one. I used it hooked up to my SGN3 phone via a Fiio E18 and the sound was excellent, particularly for rock and EDM. The V-Moda's are not ideal for acoustic, jazz or classical music. The HD 600's excel in those genres although they do a decent job with everything. Just don't expect earth-shattering bass.

Good luck.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 10
  While both the headphones you're looking at are good they are just about polar opposites in terms of sonic signature. For your musical tastes I'd go with the V-Moda's. I've owned the M-100 in the past and currently own the HD 650 so I know the differences. As said already the HD 600 will need a decent amp from the likes of Garage 1217, Schiit, Bottlehead etc, etc. The M-100 doesn't need an amp but will perform better with one. I used it hooked up to my SGN3 phone via a Fiio E18 and the sound was excellent, particularly for rock and EDM. The V-Moda's are not ideal for acoustic, jazz or classical music. The HD 600's excel in those genres although they do a decent job with everything. Just don't expect earth-shattering bass.

Good luck.

Thanks for your response!  Do you think the FiiO DAC/Amps (like the E17) would be a good enough amp if I went with the Sennheisers HD600?  Or do you think the $125 is better spent on something else?  Also is a dedicated DAC necessary?  

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 10
Honestly? No. It'll do a decent job but the HD 600 & HD 650 benefit even more from better. I don't have much experience with DAC's other than my ODAC but I believe the source is very important for obvious reasons.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #7 of 10
The cheapest way to adequately drive a HD600 is a hybrid tube amp, like the Schiit Vali, a starving student hybrid build or a used little dot.  Or a Schiit Magni.  I don't think a FiiO will be good enough.

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 10
  The cheapest way to adequately drive a HD600 is a hybrid tube amp, like the Schiit Vali, a starving student hybrid build or a used little dot.  Or a Schiit Magni.  I don't think a FiiO will be good enough.

Thanks!  I looked up the price of the Schiit Vali and its not that bad.  Why is it called a hybrid tube amp?

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks!  I looked up the price of the Schiit Vali and its not that bad.  Why is it called a hybrid tube amp?

It has tubes as the pre amp and then solid state as the op amp stage.

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 10

Hybrid is combo of a tube and solid state headphone amplifier.

Check out the Bravo Ocean tube headphone amplifier, normal price is around $110-$120.
But Massdrop has it for $79.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/bravo-ocean-amplifier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back