Amp recommendations for MS2i
Oct 21, 2007 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jingo Lingo

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market for an amp for the MS2i's I plan on buying and I'm looking to spend less than $300. I have searched quite extensively on the forum but I cant find too many recommendations in this price range. I want a warm, detailed amp that has a good synergy with these cans. The amps I have considered thus far are:

Gilmore Lite - I love the design and have heard it's quite detailed but I'm worried it will be too bright and sterile with the MS2i's.

Meier Corda ARIETTA - I've heard that this is essentially an updated/improved version of the Headfive which supposedly does well with Grados/Alessandros plus the price is great so I'm leaning towards this at the moment.

I'd like some impressions on how the MS2's sound out of these amps as well as any suggestions in this price range. I'm leaning more towards SS at the moment but I will consider tube amps also.

Thank you in advance.

Oct 21, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 14
Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 sells used from $140 to $190. It is a hybrid amp w/ the 6922 tubes (2) in the gain and SS for the output stage. If you get it I would recommend two things to improve the sound significantly, these are:

- A pair of Russian 6H23-EB which sell from $15 to $25 each.
- A beefier PSU, a good and cheap one would be Jameco P/N 167151 ( www.jameco.com) sells for $7.59

Later if you like the sound you can mod the amp using the PinkFloyd mods, the package can be bought w/ instructions for $100. Or you can source the parts w/ US vendors for a significant savings (things are much more expensive in UK, plus the S&H would be less). I would venture that the PinkFloyd kit if sourced in the US could be had for $50.

If you did all three you would have an awesome amp for less than $300, your limit. Good luck.

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it further although I'd probably prefer to buy something new. Can anyone comment on how the ARIETTA or the Gilmore Lite pair with the MS2i's?

Oct 22, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jingo Lingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it further although I'd probably prefer to buy something new. Can anyone comment on how the ARIETTA or the Gilmore Lite pair with the MS2i's?

It seems you are steering towards SS amps. In that case you may want to look into the Green Solo by Graham Slee.

Oct 22, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 14
I have the GL with DPS and ms2i-yes,it's a bright combination.I love this amp myself and will admit I turn the treble down quite a bit when used with my computer. As others have mentioned it's sound is neutral to the core but with great resolution and tight fast base.

However,warm it aint plain and simple so I would advise you to look elsewhere.I can recommend a great little amp that sounds fantastic with the warm signature your looking for and is much less than $300---Z-Audio Lambda between $150-200 if interested.I own one and will never sell it.

Oct 22, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

It seems you are steering towards SS amps. In that case you may want to look into the Green Solo by Graham Slee.

It looks like a great amp but unfortunately it's way out of my price range.

Quote:

I have the GL with DPS and ms2i-yes,it's a bright combination.I love this amp myself and will admit I turn the treble down quite a bit when used with my computer. As others have mentioned it's sound is neutral to the core but with great resolution and tight fast base.

However,warm it aint plain and simple so I would advise you to look elsewhere.I can recommend a great little amp that sounds fantastic with the warm signature your looking for and is much less than $300---Z-Audio Lambda between $150-200 if interested.I own one and will never sell it.

Thanks for your impressions and your honesty. That has pretty much ruled out the G-Lite for me as I really don't want the MS2i's to sound overly bright and I'm not really into EQing. The Z-Audio Lambda looks nice but I'd prefer a home amp as I already own a C&C Box V2.

Any more amp suggestions would be appreciated. As would impressions of the ARIETTA.

Oct 23, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jingo Lingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That has pretty much ruled out the G-Lite for me as I really don't want the MS2i's to sound overly bright and I'm not really into EQing.

I don't believe that it's so much the Glite making the MS2i sound brighter than normal, just making the MS2i sound as bright as it normally is.

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 14
I agree with you 100% as the amp is great with Grados and Sennheisers but for those yearning for a warm sounding amp then the GL might not be a good choice.

Neutral sound can be very dynamic in it's own right.I almost sold the GL once and glad I backed out .Those who have not heard it owe it to themselves to give it a listen as they might be pleasantly surprised as I still am everytime I power it up.

Jingo Lingo-have you found an amp yet your focusing on ? I'm just curious if there is anything else aside from the Arietta.

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 14
I'm pretty much looking at the Arietta at the moment but I can't find many impressions on how it fairs with Grados/Alessandros. I'm definitely open to suggestions in my price range though.

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 14
I have a Green Solo #48 and also an Arietta

The Green is going back this week. I expected it to be a leap from the Arietta - it was not

They are fairly close. Detail is very good in both but the bass is better on the Arietta and it is not as bright with a smoother sound. The Arietta nearly always made me tap the desk

This was with RS-1's

Oct 24, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #12 of 14
Thanks for the reply. That's pretty much what I wanted to hear. If no one else has any other suggestions then it looks like I might just go for the Arietta.

Edit: hawkhead, what is the gain like on the Arietta? did you find it OK to use with you RS-1?

Nov 28, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #14 of 14
I have used an LD2++ in the past and it calmed down the brightness abit and brought out the middle. Now I am eagerly awaiting a DarkVoice 336i that will get an RCA grey glass upgrade. I'm pairing this with a Beresford DAC and can't wait to see what the result is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back