Amp recommendations for LCD2 and UM Merlin (long post)
Sep 8, 2014 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

crowdedthehouse

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, a bit of a long post, (skip to bottom for TL;DR) but the short of it is I  want suggestions on what amp to buy. I am looking for a nice tube amp and possibly DAC combination. This amp will be powering a pair of LCD2s yet I want it to be versatile enough to use with a pair of UM Merlins.

Most of the time I will be using the LCD2s but sometimes if I have a lady friend over, I don't want to disturb her sleep and then I can switch to the Merlins. My budget is $850 AUD or so, which is roughly $800 USD.  I was looking at the Woo Audio WA7 but missed out on picking one a second hand one on eBay where my bid was pipped by $10 and went for $810 AUD. Reading reviews, this would have been perfect for what I wanted.

I don't think another one will pop up at that price for a while so am looking at my alternatives. I am also acquiring an RWAK120-B and ALO Rx Mk III B+.  I was thinking of using the DAC from the RWA and pairing it with a good quality desktop amp, and that would negate the need for spending on a DAC. 

My next choice would be to purchase a Schiit Lyr2 and bitfrost combo, but adding the USB feature brings the new price close to $1000. I could search for a used combo which pops up on the for sale threads here more often than a WA7, but I need the 230VAC version here in Australia, which then makes that a waiting game.

I could also run my RWAK120-B in combination with the Lyr2, but I would prefer the synergy of the two Schiit units, otherwise I could step up and pair the RWA's DAC with a Mjolnir.

I saw someone selling an RSA Raptor (220V) for $800 USD. Could that be a good option or would this be too much for the UM Merlins? As a worst case scenario, I have a pair of Sennheiser Momentum over-ears that I could run instead of the Merlins.

Some of you may suggest that I just use the RWA + ALO combo with the Merlins, but I have too much music on my computer and I REALLY like to listen to random songs without being restricted to what can be held on the RWA  (I have 3TB of music I personally ripped from a large CD collection. Yes this took forever)

I do prefer the warmth of a tube amp, but am open to suggestions on solid state amps. I like a large expansive sound stage. I prefer to buy used to keep costs down and give me more options. Need 220-240V as I am in Australia and do not want to us a step down transformer

TL;DR-
Want: Tube amp to power LCD2s and UM Merlin CIEMs, Maybe DAC combo, Ideally $800 USD, alternatives to Woo Audio WA7, Schiit combo
Have: RWA-120-B, Audeze LCD2, UM Merlin, ALO Rx Mk III B+, Sennheiser Momentum

Thanks in advance, Head-Fi!

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 2
This might be a stretch, but I could now contemplate a Chord Hugo if I sell the ALO Rx MKIII and also a Fiio E17 and EK09 combo I have, and maybe downgrade the RWAK120 to a standard AK120 and stretch my budget up a couple hundred dollars?

Would the Chord Hugo run the LCD2s as well as an $800 desktop amp paired with the WM8741 DAC in the RWA?

Maybe the RWA with ALO Rx MkIII B+ is good enough as it is and not worth spending another $800?

I am so torn.. Maybe I should sell everything and go back to my Sansa clip + rockbox and a pair of Apple earbuds, then spend the money on strippers in my upcoming trip to Vegas... This at the moment seems the most logical  and reasonably sound option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back