Amp recommendations for HD6XX and maybe dac as well
May 12, 2017 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sureshot1234

100+ Head-Fier
im looking to upgrade from my Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card to separate dac/amp think its starting to cause issues with some of my games since asus doesnt update anymore cases games to crash. been looking at the modi 2 multibit as a dac (seem like a good choice to you all?) but there are so many amps cant figure out what to go with i do need pre outs for my powered Emotiva Airmotiv 4 speakers. will be used fro games music and movies with the HD6XX headphones. if possible i would like to keep total cost close to 500 or less if possible more than 700-750 is not possible for me but want to feel like i have something solid and as great sounding as i can to keep that upgrade itch at bay. originally was looking into only solid state amps but i always read that the HD650/HD6XX sound best to alot of people with tube and from most descriptions of tube sound it appeals to me.

appreciate all thoughts recommendations that you all have to help me figure out what would work best for me

if i managed to leave out any info that would help figure this out please tell me and i will add it

May 12, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 15
im looking to upgrade from my Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card to separate dac/amp think its starting to cause issues with some of my games since asus doesnt update anymore cases games to crash. been looking at the modi 2 multibit as a dac (seem like a good choice to you all?) but there are so many amps cant figure out what to go with i do need pre outs for my powered Emotiva Airmotiv 4 speakers. will be used fro games music and movies with the HD6XX headphones. if possible i would like to keep total cost close to 500 or less if possible more than 700-750 is not possible for me but want to feel like i have something solid and as great sounding as i can to keep that upgrade itch at bay. originally was looking into only solid state amps but i always read that the HD650/HD6XX sound best to alot of people with tube and from most descriptions of tube sound it appeals to me.

appreciate all thoughts recommendations that you all have to help me figure out what would work best for me

if i managed to leave out any info that would help figure this out please tell me and i will add it

I own HD650 and HD600 and I like the Modi 2 Multibit and Valhalla 2 combination quite well. Outstanding SQ. You might read about the Valhalla 2 and see what you think. It's possible it could work for you.

May 12, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 15
I own HD650 and HD600 and I like the Modi 2 Multibit and Valhalla 2 combination quite well. Outstanding SQ. You might read about the Valhalla 2 and see what you think. It's possible it could work for you.

how would the Valhalla 2 compare to the little dot mk3 or mk4 which is about the same price or less than the Valhalla 2?

May 12, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 15
Budget?

May 12, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 15
May 12, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 15
Bottlehead crack, and although I've never owned a mimby, it fits your budget.
When I had the 650's' the Valhalla and Crack were the best to my ears. The Crack imo, is the better (sq wise) amp. No landslide though. They had tradeoffs.
The downside of the Crack, is you either have to build one , or buy one here on the for sale forums pre-built.
I think you would be extremely happy with a Valhalla/mimby combo. I had a bimby, and a majority says they're pretty close in sq.

May 12, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 15
im looking to upgrade from my Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card to separate dac/amp think its starting to cause issues with some of my games since asus doesnt update anymore cases games to crash.

Just note that if you're using virtual surround or any other DSP tricks now you won't have them with a DAC and HPamp, unless the games you play have a headphone-specific audio program (ie, virtual surround already built into the game) or you get a new soundcard.

been looking at the modi 2 multibit as a dac (seem like a good choice to you all?) but there are so many amps cant figure out what to go with i do need pre outs for my powered Emotiva Airmotiv 4 speakers. will be used fro games music and movies with the HD6XX headphones. if possible i would like to keep total cost close to 500 or less if possible more than 700-750 is not possible for me but want to feel like i have something solid and as great sounding as i can to keep that upgrade itch at bay. originally was looking into only solid state amps but i always read that the HD650/HD6XX sound best to alot of people with tube and from most descriptions of tube sound it appeals to me.

No need to spend that much when you can get the AudioGD NFB-11 for around $400 shipped. You have enough left over to get a soundcard with SPDIF output and virtual surround.

May 13, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 15
Bottlehead crack, and although I've never owned a mimby, it fits your budget.
When I had the 650's' the Valhalla and Crack were the best to my ears. The Crack imo, is the better (sq wise) amp. No landslide though. They had tradeoffs.
The downside of the Crack, is you either have to build one , or buy one here on the for sale forums pre-built.
I think you would be extremely happy with a Valhalla/mimby combo. I had a bimby, and a majority says they're pretty close in sq.
As much as I like the look and the idea of learning to build something like that it doesn't have rca pit for my studio monitors

After reading different reviews for the Valhalla 2 a lot say it's more solid state sounding than tube and if I get a tube would like it to be more tube like in sound

May 13, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #12 of 15
Just note that if you're using virtual surround or any other DSP tricks now you won't have them with a DAC and HPamp, unless the games you play have a headphone-specific audio program (ie, virtual surround already built into the game) or you get a new soundcard.

No need to spend that much when you can get the AudioGD NFB-11 for around $400 shipped. You have enough left over to get a soundcard with SPDIF output and virtual surround.[/QUOTE

Ya I know without a sound card I won't have those type of effects unless I get something like the ifi. I will look into that. Rand looks like straight from China and I would have to use paypal

May 13, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #13 of 15
Well just have to say if you want a amp for the 650's ie the 6xx's it would be the Bottlehead Crack as others have said. It is that not hard to build and is a wonderful amp for the 6xx's. I bought one pre built and bought another after the anniversary sale with Speedball. They are taylor made for the 6xx's.

May 13, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #14 of 15
Well just have to say if you want a amp for the 650's ie the 6xx's it would be the Bottlehead Crack as others have said. It is that not hard to build and is a wonderful amp for the 6xx's. I bought one pre built and bought another after the anniversary sale with Speedball. They are taylor made for the 6xx's.

I love the look and would be fun if I didn't need the pre out for my speakers headphones are great but sometimes I like to not have something on my head

Users who are viewing this thread

Back