Amp recommendations for HD650 with Asus laptop as source
Nov 26, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jterp7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As much as I'd like to budget 1k for an amp, aka Opera territory, I think at the moment I can't budget more than 4-500 for the amp. What do u recommend with this in mind?

I personally don't have an answer, which is why I suggested doing some more research. There are some real knowledgeable head-fiers that know amps in that price range. I'm sure there are some good ones readily available. I'd look more toward home options rather than portable unless portability is an must.

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #17 of 19
I don't mind size..but I would rather not have something very large or fragile (tubes) on my desk. Another reason I'm looking at these is due to them incorporating a DAC which is important for me.

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #18 of 19
If that's the case, and with your budget, my ultimate recommendation would be to sell the 650s (though they are one of my three fav dynamic headphones), get 600s and pick up a Pico (which I have ordered) or the Predator if you like a more forward sound. Both sound good with the 600s. I've not heard either with the 650s, but based on my experience, the 650s don't do as well as the 600s with most amps, and can sound bass heavy and/or slow when under-driven (and I'm not talking about just volume). I know that's a pissy rec, based on the fact you own the 650s, but that's what I would do. I suspect others may have good recs that might be more to your needs.

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #19 of 19
having owned the 650s for some time now, after the novelty finally wore off I am finally hearing the deficiencies of being ampless...that said I am still a bass fan...I guess from your post I should pick up the predator to go with the 650's laidback sound.

I am not one of those who buys and sells going through many HPs/AMPs/etc. (famous last words), so I'd like to keep the 650s for some time, hopefully for years if they can last that long

Users who are viewing this thread

Back