Amp recommendations for HD-555s/Computer
Jul 8, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #31 of 35
I'm in pretty much the same place as the thread-starter here.

I'm looking to amp up my hd555's, but my soundcard is EVEN WORSE than his, i've got a sounblaster live...not looking to buy a new soundcard, so I was thinking of maybe a Headroom BitHead. I'm very new to amplification, so it's hard for me to understand the difference between a dac/source/amplifier/whatever, I just want my headphones to sound good!

I'm definitely going to use this amp with my ksc75's portably as well, hooked up to my mp3 player. So I was also looking at the PA2, go-vibe, rockhopper's portable pimeta, and the super-mini moy as well. So many choices! Anyone have a tip for me?

Jul 8, 2005 at 1:09 PM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitefurby
I'm in pretty much the same place as the thread-starter here.

I'm looking to amp up my hd555's, but my soundcard is EVEN WORSE than his, i've got a sounblaster live...not looking to buy a new soundcard, so I was thinking of maybe a Headroom BitHead. I'm very new to amplification, so it's hard for me to understand the difference between a dac/source/amplifier/whatever, I just want my headphones to sound good!

I'm definitely going to use this amp with my ksc75's portably as well, hooked up to my mp3 player. So I was also looking at the PA2, go-vibe, rockhopper's portable pimeta, and the super-mini moy as well. So many choices! Anyone have a tip for me?

My tip is to buy a new sound card, definitely. There is a considerably big improvement just from a soundblaster live to an Audigy 2 ZS, that would be worth it right there. Though if you don't play many games on your computer you might want to spring for the EMU 0404. Getting any amp and using with the Soundblaster live would be a waste, i believe. I bought my Audigy 2 ZS for 81 bucks around 3 years ago, so you could probably find one for pretty cheap, it's a great all around sound card. After you get your new sound card installed then you can start amp hunting, if you even want an amp anymore at that point. I think you might even like the HD-555s unamped if you get a nice sound card.

So buy a new sound card...NOW!
tongue.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ropeadope
So buy a new sound card...NOW!
tongue.gif

Yeah I kinda figured that out...I'm actually looking at the chaintech 710, cause it's crazy cheap, and I never play games and would be able to use its quality output straight to my headphones. Plus, it looks like you can upgrade to a standalone DAC in the future with it as well. I'd still want an amp for portable use tho, but all those ones I mentioned all look the same to me in a way...any more tips?

Jul 12, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #34 of 35
Was wondering if anyone likes the Headroom Little at all? I can't find much info about it, which isn't usually a good thing
tongue.gif
- The power supply that comes with it doesn't look so great.

I know it's discontinued from headroom, but i might be able to get one for half price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back