Amp Recommendations for GRADO RS-1's
Mar 20, 2006 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

bobbyk

100+ Head-Fier
I have ordered a pair of Grado RS-1's to run with my Naim CD2 cd player. They should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday
k1000smile.gif

I have been advised that my current Original "Flinstone" Earmax will not work well with them.

I'd be very interested to hear what amps you headfiers are using with the Grados RS-1's, and what the qualities are your amp provides you with.

Could you also give approximate cost and supplier contact details.

Thanks for your help.

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 28
My RS-1s hopefully will be arriving this week as well
biggrin.gif

Obviously I havent heard it yet, but I have read that the Gilmore Lite / GS-1 has great synergy with Grados. Have a quick forum search for it. Cant wait to try it out on my Lite.

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 28
Hi fellow Naimee
icon10.gif

As my signature suggests, I have an RS-1 driven by Grado's own RA-1 amp. My source is a Naim CD5i and I'm using Rega Couple interconnects, and Grado's own extension cable.

I really am enjoying what I'm getting from this combo. As I have mentioned in a previous thread, I am enjoying this combo more than my Naim Headline 2 amp (with NAPSC) and Rega Ear amp (both are also superb amps).

The sound is transparent but not harsh. It's also full-bodied and has great punch and a good dose of PRaT (undoubtedly assisted greatly by a Naim CD player!). I'm sure you will get significantly more mileage from your CD player than mine!

Don't be put off by the simple parts in the RA-1 (it's the sound that matters) or its relatively cheap price of US$350 (if I'm correct - plse check Todd the Vinyl Junkie or HeadRoom). Yes, there is some time smear in the bass, probably due to the input capacitors, but it's very negligible with a Naim CD player. What you get is great timbre, open sound and very life-like microdynamics. The sound is very well-controlled but musically expressive and quick at the same time, with very good decays - in short, and in my opinion, 1st class!

I believe there are a number out there who would also vouch for the RS-1 / RA-1 combo. Hope this helps!

Regards,
cansman

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 28
I just received a brand new Sugden Headmaster and I am spinning my discs with Wadia 830p. This combination with RS-1 sounds very natural and engaging to me, to the total eargasm level too. The Headmaster is letting a lot of details to pass through, but to some people the soundstage might be slightly thick. BTW, I am a Flat Pad kind of guy.

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 28
mccormack micro integrated drive & headamp gilmore lite

the mid is 'natural' sounding
glite is aggressive sounding

i dig them both with a slight preference toward the glite.

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 28
I've used a few amps with my RS-1's. On the less expensive side of things the RA-1 is pretty hard to beat, very good bass punch, loads of PRaT, nice mids and highs although it does seem to have a bit of grain. What makes the RA-1 hard to beat is it's fun to listen to, everytime I hear one I find it very engaging in a toe-tapping kind of way. ONe thing I did notice with the RA-1 was a bit of noise when using IEM's like my E4's.

Moving to the Headamp GS-1 you get a tighter, punchier and more extended bass. Soundstage expands quite a bit, dynamics, both micro and macro are improved and mids and highs are smoother without a hint of grain. I feel the GS-1 allows you to see further into the recording with a much more refined presentation but at the expense of a bit less PRaT and fun of the RA-1.

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 28
EMP,EMP SE or Earmax Anniversary (if there are any left,the Audiophile Club had two afortnight ago).Prices £425 -£895.

Singlepower could build you something in the PPX or MPX range

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 28
Cary 300SEI with Grace Tubes. Oh. My. God.

Mar 20, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by cansman
Hi fellow Naimee
icon10.gif

As my signature suggests, I have an RS-1 driven by Grado's own RA-1 amp. My source is a Naim CD5i and I'm using Rega Couple interconnects, and Grado's own extension cable.

I really am enjoying what I'm getting from this combo. As I have mentioned in a previous thread, I am enjoying this combo more than my Naim Headline 2 amp (with NAPSC) and Rega Ear amp (both are also superb amps).

The sound is transparent but not harsh. It's also full-bodied and has great punch and a good dose of PRaT (undoubtedly assisted greatly by a Naim CD player!). I'm sure you will get significantly more mileage from your CD player than mine!

Don't be put off by the simple parts in the RA-1 (it's the sound that matters) or its relatively cheap price of US$350 (if I'm correct - plse check Todd the Vinyl Junkie or HeadRoom). Yes, there is some time smear in the bass, probably due to the input capacitors, but it's very negligible with a Naim CD player. What you get is great timbre, open sound and very life-like microdynamics. The sound is very well-controlled but musically expressive and quick at the same time, with very good decays - in short, and in my opinion, 1st class!

I believe there are a number out there who would also vouch for the RS-1 / RA-1 combo. Hope this helps!

Regards,
cansman

I couldn't agree more. The synergy between the RA-1/RS-1 is some of the best I've heard with the RS-1 - other than that I use ASL MGhead w/blackgate NOS tubes.

Extremely happy with both amps for RS-1 (no desire to upgrade amps for these cans).

Mar 20, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #11 of 28
I've enjoyed success pairing the RS-1's with the Musical Fidelity X-Can v3. Produces such a musical, enjoyable sound. Not a hint of harshness.

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigcat39
Cary 300SEI with Grace Tubes. Oh. My. God.

Heh, definitely. Of course the Cary SLI80 is just as remarkable and perhaps moreso! Still...my top choice thus far is the Ear HP4 with Sylvanias. Mmmm mmm.

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #15 of 28
Thanks for your suggestions.

The fact that you have kindly included the traits you like in your respective amps is most useful as it will ultimately point me towards several amps that have the characteristics that I prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back