Amp recommendation to pair with Mad Dogs in $200-$500 range
May 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dbalvo

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some help narrowing down the options for a new headphone amp. I'm trying to improve my setup at work (where I have an open office, and need background tunes to get anything done.)  I just picked up a pair of Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs which are still breaking in but I'm definitely enjoying.  Now I need an amp to match. 

My current setup is a a MB Pro -> Headroom Micro Ultra DAC (optical) -> Little Dot II++ amp.  The LD is dying, but even beyond that I've recently learned about the OTL (Output Transformerless) vs TC (Transformer Coupled) differences in tube amp design, and that the LDs being OTL aren't a great pair for the Mad Dogs with their low (50) impedance.  That said, I like tupe amps (both the sound, and they look cool on my desk in the office! )  

The Mad Dogs are going to be my primary cans for this setup, but I've also got a pair of T5Ps (32 ohms), HD650s (300 ohms) so I'd like something that can power a wide range if possible.  I don't need portability, but I do want an amp on the more compact side because I don't have a huge desk.  In terms of sound, I love precision and soundstage and warmer sounds (which is why I like tubes.)  I listen to mostly rock / indie / electronica, with some more instrumental stuff mixed in every now and then.  Price range in the $200-$500.

Thanks for any/all advice.  Also, I'm not thinking my DAC is an issue but I don't know if DACs have progressed much since I got mine like 8 years ago.  If you think I'd more likely get improved sound from a lower end amp and a new DAC I'd like to know.  

May 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 2
Thought I'd share an update for those who are interested.  Been doing some research (and actually asked Mr. Speakers himself.  That guy rocks!)  Anyway, what I'm concluding is that because the Mad Dogs are orthodynamic headphones they need a pretty powerful amp (perhaps an even stronger factor than the whole low impedance OTL tube issue.)  Apparently orthodynamic designs just need a lot of power. 

In general, it looks like a hybrid amp might give me the best combination of tube sound and power I need to drive the Mad Dogs (and they seem much more common than the TC variety.)  After some research, I think I've narrowed it down to the Schitt Lyr and the Hifiman EF5.  Does anyone have any opinions on the pros/cons of these two options?  Thanks! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back