AMP Recommendation to go with Soundcard
Nov 12, 2016 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Shingyboy

New Head-Fier
So I have been interested in getting some Sennheiser 650s for a while now, I currently have a Sound blaster ZxR. I am guessing that to make the most of such headphones I would need an external amp.

I have been trying to read up on the subject and it is possible to pair a soundcard with an amp? using the soundcard as a DAC? What would be the best way for me to do this with a Sound blaster ZxR?

I would honestly prefer to not have to get rid of my soundcard but would I benefit a lot from getting an external dac and amp instead of plugging an amp into my soundcard? I do game a lot on my system.

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 8
  So I have been interested in getting some Sennheiser 650s for a while now, I currently have a Sound blaster ZxR. I am guessing that to make the most of such headphones I would need an external amp.
I have been trying to read up on the subject and it is possible to pair a sound card with an amp? using the sound card as a DAC? What would be the best way for me to do this with a Sound blaster ZxR?
I would honestly prefer to not have to get rid of my sound card but would I benefit a lot from getting an external dac and amp instead of plugging an amp into my sound card? I do game a lot on my system.

So we cab assume you do not own the HD650, but really want to buy them?
It would help if you listed a budget for your audio upgrade(if you have one)?
Do you do a lot of FPS gaming?
What headphones do you have now?

The SB-ZxR makes a fairly good DAC.
You could connect an external headphone amplifier to the SB-ZxR's Front Speaker output (Darkvoice tube headphone amplifier, $213-$250)
But the SB-ZxR can not send it's SBX Headphone surround sound thru it's Front Speaker jacks,
which does not matter for music.

For FPS gaming, Audio Technica ATH-AD700X or Sennheiser HD558 would be better choices for FPS gaming.
Guess the best reason for getting the HD650 is for music listening.

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 8

You could connect an external headphone amplifier to the SB-ZxR's Front Speaker output (Darkvoice tube headphone amplifier, $213-$250)
But the SB-ZxR can not send it's SBX Headphone surround sound thru it's Front Speaker jacks,

For FPS gaming, Audio Technica ATH-AD700X or Sennheiser HD558 would be better choices for FPS gaming.

Yeah I do not own it but I am actually thinking about it since watching some videos here and there.

I do a bit of FPS gaming, mainly CSGO, but a bit of Battlefield here and there. I have a Philips Fidelio X1 and a AKG K702. I am from the UK so my budget would be in GBP. I have tried to find that darkvoice tube headphone amplifier but it just does not seem to exist, do you have a alternative that I might be able to find in the UK? But in terms of an actual budget I am not sure I actually have one, I would prefer not to spend a ridiculous amount of money on the amp to be honest but not cheap out really badly either so somewhere in the middle ground what sort of prices would I have to pay for that? Around £150 perhaps?

Out of those 2 headphones which would you get? they both seem to be the same price. I do like music though so perhaps I should still get the HD650?

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 8
I would assume with the AKG K702, you already covered for FPS gaming.
So no need to get the AD700X or HD558.

You might want to hold off on the HD650.
Massdrop will be shipping out (with in a month) about 5000 HD6XX headphones, for $200 each, which are really just relabeled HD650.
So in a month or two, there should be some used HD6XX available, you should be able to get, for around $200.

Massdrop might even offer the HD6XX again in a month or two, so you could get new ones ($199, plus shipping to Europe).

Not really sure what to offer you for an amplifier, not familar with what is offered in Europe.

Check the website AVforum, they are based out of the UK, they might be able to point out the best deals in the European area.

Nov 12, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 8
  I would assume with the AKG K702, you already covered for FPS gaming.
So no need to get the AD700X or HD558.

You might want to hold off on the HD650.
Massdrop will be shipping out (with in a month) about 5000 HD6XX headphones, for $200 each, which are really just relabeled HD650.
So in a month or two, there should be some used HD6XX available, you should be able to get, for around $200.

Massdrop might even offer the HD6XX again in a month or two, so you could get new ones ($199, plus shipping to Europe).

Not really sure what to offer you for an amplifier, not familar with what is offered in Europe.

Check the website AVforum, they are based out of the UK, they might be able to point out the best deals in the European area.

Okay, I was thinking that black friday was coming up soon and that I might be able to get the HD650s in a deal. In terms of the Massdrop HD6XX version is there any difference at all?

By any chance could you just recommend me some amps that are decent enough to drive these headphones and then I will just search to see if they are available for me to purchase?

There is one thing I was going to ask actually, I have 2 studio monitors plugged into my soundcard, is this the best way to plug them in or should they be put into a amp as well?

Nov 12, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 8
  Okay, I was thinking that black friday was coming up soon and that I might be able to get the HD650s in a deal. In terms of the Massdrop HD6XX version is there any difference at all?

By any chance could you just recommend me some amps that are decent enough to drive these headphones and then I will just search to see if they are available for me to purchase?

There is one thing I was going to ask actually, I have 2 studio monitors plugged into my soundcard, is this the best way to plug them in or should they be put into a amp as well?

If you can find a good deal on the HD650 this Black Friday, then might as well go for it.
The rumor is Sennheiser will be discontuning the HD650, assume something "new" will replace it.
So offering the HD6XX thru Massdrop, is Sennheiser's way of making a last few dollars of the HD650, before it's discontunied.
So far everything points to the HD6XX as the HD650, with a different paint job.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx/talk

To me the Darkvoice 336SE or the LittlDot MK III would be one to look at,for a tube amp.
I bought the Darkvoice 336SE ($250 thru Massdrop) a few months back and really liking it.
Just not sure what are other good tube amps, for a given budget.

Nov 13, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #7 of 8

If you can find a good deal on the HD650 this Black Friday, then might as well go for it.
The rumor is Sennheiser will be discontuning the HD650, assume something "new" will replace it.
So offering the HD6XX thru Massdrop, is Sennheiser's way of making a last few dollars of the HD650, before it's discontunied.
So far everything points to the HD6XX as the HD650, with a different paint job.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx/talk

To me the Darkvoice 336SE or the LittlDot MK III would be one to look at,for a tube amp.
I bought the Darkvoice 336SE ($250 thru Massdrop) a few months back and really liking it.
Just not sure what are other good tube amps, for a given budget.

You are going to have to forgive me, what is the difference between a tube amp and a non tube amp? I managed to find the Littledot MK III now, Amazon has it for £268, which is a bit steep to be honest, can you think of anything that might be decent but a bit cheaper?

Nov 13, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #8 of 8
  You are going to have to forgive me, what is the difference between a tube amp and a non tube amp? I managed to find the Littledot MK III now, Amazon has it for £268, which is a bit steep to be honest, can you think of anything that might be decent but a bit cheaper?

For the most part there are two main types of headphone amplifiers, tube and solid state.
So unless the amplifier has the word tube in it's descripton, it's solid state.
There are also hybrid amplifiers, they are a combo of solid state and tube, to some degree or another.

Maybe for now just plug the HD650 into the SB-ZxR's headphone jack.
You can always get a tube amplifier at a later date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back