Amp recommendation for UM3X and Hfi 780 or etc
May 28, 2009 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gameboy115

Headphoneus Supremus
I am using UM3X and Ultrasone Hfi 780 is on the way.

Possible future purchase, HD 600/650, AKG 701/02, Denon D2000, Beyerdynamic DT880 ,Audio Technica a900 ,shure SE 530, Ti fi 10 pro

Want to buy budget amp for them. My target is xm4 , CORDA HEADSIX , d2, my budget is around 150.

Which one do you think good for me? You can always tell me you got something better for me. I will be using iphone and LOD.

Thanks

May 28, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 10
I don't want to sound impolite but $150 won't be enough if you plan to purchase all the headphones that you have mentionned.

My advice is to start with the iBasso D10 ($275) for your HFI-780/UM3X and later you will probably need to purchase a real desktop amp for your high impedance headphones.

May 28, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 10
I wouldn't bother with an intermediate costing solutions which compromises delivery of performance. The upgrade an amp may provide is usually subtle and less noticeable; not exactly bang for the buck. I have a personal belief its ok to buy an amp that is overkill for the entire setup. You might as well max out your benefits with amp because going the path of incremental upgrades is a waste of time and may induce a lot of psychological pain of buyer's remorse. Usually changing headphones and source have an immediate gratitude. That's my lousy two cents.

May 28, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to sound impolite but $150 won't be enough if you plan to purchase all the headphones that you have mentionned.

My advice is to start with the iBasso D10 ($275) for your HFI-780/UM3X and later you will probably need to purchase a real desktop amp for your high impedance headphones.

Thanks for advice. D10 would be decent startup,but I don't want to pour too much money on amping, so I hope I can get it better choice among all startup amps. In fact, future purchase list is just a thought only, nothing seriously taking action now, since I am still looking for best sound signature for me

May 29, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedxing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't bother with an intermediate costing solutions which compromises delivery of performance. The upgrade an amp may provide is usually subtle and less noticeable; not exactly bang for the buck. I have a personal belief its ok to buy an amp that is overkill for the entire setup. You might as well max out your benefits with amp because going the path of incremental upgrades is a waste of time and may induce a lot of psychological pain of buyer's remorse. Usually changing headphones and source have an immediate gratitude. That's my lousy two cents.

Thanks for your input. I kind of desperate here to find someway to improve the sound of UM3X as I found no DAP on my hand could fully reveal UM3X potential. That is why I want to give it a try

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D10 is shipped with extra opamps, so you can roll opamps. It's a very useful feature that would allow you to experiment different type of sound with your headphones.

Thanks for letting me know.D10 is still out of mu budget though

May 29, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 10
For your IEM's something like T4 would do well (and don't be fooled by its size, they gain very well, enough to power even some harder to amp fullsize headphones) from size/value perspective, or indeed something like XM4/5 and D2 would be fine too. but for many of your full-size hard to amp prospects, you'll definitely have to increase your budget to get the most out of them (and most of them aren't really portable anyway, so a fullsize amp is more practical).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back