Amp recommendation for TH-X00
Nov 16, 2017 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jedy617

Head-Fier
Ok I grabbed a set of Fostex TH-X00. Am I good with just buying an amp or do I need a DAC too? Wanna spend the least amount of money possible. Schitt fulla 2, magni 3, or save up for a magni and modi?

I'm running a new alienware so that should mean that I should be ok dac wise for something like this right? Or is a nicer dac really necessary? Oh btw forgot I have Zorloo ZuperDac usb DAC/AMP, so maybe that will suffice for now?

Thanks!

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 13
The TH-X00 isn't hard to drive at all. I'd try it straight out of the computer first. See firsthand if you have any issues like hiss, or humming or insufficient volume before spending money on an external DAC and amp.

The Zorloo should work also, so try it and see if you can find any differences.

Nov 17, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 13
I've got the TH-X00's, they're my first real upgrade since my sony mdr-7506's that I bought 6 years ago. Right now I've got a Magni 3 and Modi Multibit and it's working flawlessly. I ran them through my PC (ALC1220A) before I bough the schiit stack and they sounded fine but the dedicated AMP/DAC definitely brought a substantial upgrade in detail and authority of the headphones. I did have a modi 2U that I exchanged, and that too was a large upgrade from the audio codec in my PC. For ~250$ the Magni3/ Modi2U can't be beat I think and if you can swing for the multibit thats even better.

Nov 17, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 13
Ok thanks for the help :) for the money, do you thinkthe fulla would be better for a newbie like me first a magni and modi?

If you are just a casual listener, I wouldn't think you'd need more than the Fulla 2. If you think you might expand your headphone collection in the future and get more demanding sets, the Schiit stack (Magni and Modi) will drive the vast majority of headphones well. So it really depends on what you see yourself doing over time.

Nov 17, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 13
Great info guys, thanks!
My recommendation would be to get the modi 2 + magni 3. They're excellent products, and if you decide to upgrade, they're very easy to resell.

As for headphones, you can't go wrong with the TH-X00 if you're looking for a fun headphone that doesn't break the bank. It holds its own against the TH-900, which costs 3 times as much.

Some other fun headphones you can consider are the Fidelio X2 and the Audioquest Nighthawk. All 3 of these headphones can be had for less than $300, and they each have their own strengths.

iFi iDSD Nano Black Label DAC/headphone amp
Monoprice M1060 planar magnetic headphones

The iDSD brings way more functionality than you need to simply decode and amp from streaming services, say via a smartphone, but it will sound amazing doing just what you want, and offer flexibility for the day you might wanna get your feet wet with the rest of us audio'loons' and try out high-rez digital downloads, DSD recorded/encoded music, etc.

I've got the TH-X00's, they're my first real upgrade since my sony mdr-7506's that I bought 6 years ago. Right now I've got a Magni 3 and Modi Multibit and it's working flawlessly. I ran them through my PC (ALC1220A) before I bough the schiit stack and they sounded fine but the dedicated AMP/DAC definitely brought a substantial upgrade in detail and authority of the headphones. I did have a modi 2U that I exchanged, and that too was a large upgrade from the audio codec in my PC. For ~250$ the Magni3/ Modi2U can't be beat I think and if you can swing for the multibit thats even better.

If you are just a casual listener, I wouldn't think you'd need more than the Fulla 2. If you think you might expand your headphone collection in the future and get more demanding sets, the Schiit stack (Magni and Modi) will drive the vast majority of headphones well. So it really depends on what you see yourself doing over time.

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #7 of 13
i have both a chord mojo and maple tree audio (mad) ear plus purist hd....i presume either one will pair well
with the fostex ebony cans i just bought?
my friend wants me to ditch both (he's a stupid chord hater) and buy the just released
massdrop eddy current zdt jr
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-eddie-current-zdt-jr

i think what i have is fine, however...esp given i'm not a hardcore cans listener.
(much prefer music from my naim muso ...or focal alpha 50 desktop monitors with mojo as a fab dac)

Nov 19, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #8 of 13
I find the treble a bit spicy for me on the THx00, but the v curve is really fun. I typically paired with "warm" amps. It was alright with the Chord Mojo. My issue with the Mojo is that it needed an adapter to work with the THx00, and the connection wasn't as secure as a result. The weight of the adapter pulled against the connection point, and sometimes the weight of the cord with the imbalanced adapter resulted in my THx00 unplugging itself. You won't have that problem with the Fulla, which I think uses a 1/4" connection?

I think the Fostex's really shined on my home rig (Violectric V200/ Bimby). But if you don't take issue with the treble, you're not limited in amp choice the same way I am for pairing.

Nov 21, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #9 of 13
my housemate has the purple heart th-xoo with fulla 2. They pair pretty well but I can hear a slow hiss sound when the volume is over 2 o'clock. I find that magni 3 is a better pair with the th-x00. Warmer and pleasant to listen to.

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 13
I think the Fostex's really shined on my home rig (Violectric V200/ Bimby). But if you don't take issue with the treble, you're not limited in amp choice the same way I am for pairing.

Hey, I’ve owned the Fostex TH-X00 PH for about a year, and I usually use it with a Centrance DACPortHD out of my work laptop. However tonight on a whim I tried it out of my home theater rig, which is a Denon 3808ci doing processor duty with a Lake People G103 headphone amp on the zone 2 pre-out, and I’m loving it! Such great sense of space that I never heard out of the DACPortHD. Lake People/Violectric pairs really well with the TH-X00!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #12 of 13
Hey, I’ve owned the Fostex TH-X00 PH for about a year, and I usually use it with a Centrance DACPortHD out of my work laptop. However tonight on a whim I tried it out of my home theater rig, which is a Denon 3808ci doing processor duty with a Lake People G103 headphone amp on the zone 2 pre-out, and I’m loving it! Such great sense of space that I never heard out of the DACPortHD. Lake People/Violectric pairs really well with the TH-X00!
Running it with G103 at school is a favorite, and I'm flip-flopping between preferences for the G103, and the Aune X7s. The x7s has more sizzle in the treble, but also more power, which I think relates to a bit more bass response. Depends on my listening mood... I think the G103 is the least offensive all-rounder though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back