Amp recommendation for H800S
Nov 8, 2021 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

vozhyk

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on amp for hd800s. My story: currently I got 2 amps schiit Valhalla 2 and sennheiser hdv820. What I like about Valhalla is nice and warm tuby sound, good sound stage (maybe not as good as in hdv820). But there is also some sort of disbalance in it: peak in mids/low-mids and valley in the low end. Hdv820 from the other side is perfectly balanced, gives me a great sound stage and sound quality in general. But it feels really cold to my taste.
So I'm looking for something that could give me best of two. Looking for amp only as I'm happy with Schiit Bifrost 2 I have. Preferably up to $1500.

Will appreciate any recommendation. Thank you.

Nov 8, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 7
I also use a Valhalla 2 with the Bifrost 2 and HD800S. I’m very happy with the combo, but funny enough, I‘m also bouncing around the idea of adding another headphone amp to my desktop and a cheap HDV820 was on the short list. If you’re using the stock tubes on Valhalla 2, you may want to check out the Valhalla tube rolling thread. I upgraded the input tubes to some Brimar CV-4033’s and it’s definitely breathed some new life into it, the sound is terrific.

If you‘re still interested in Schiit - I wonder if the Lyr 3 might be what you’re looking for. If you’re near the Schittr in Newhall, might be worth making a trip down to try a Jotunheim and Lyr side by side; however I have not heard either amp. Lyr 3 is definitely better for tube rolling - matched pairs for the Valhalla can be a pain :triportsad:. Personally I am keeping my ears to the ground on the upcoming 10-tube Folkvangr amp which might be something of a “super Valhalla”.

I’ve also been eyeing the WA2 from Woo Audio - well, I was, until I heard that Folkvangr might actually happen :L3000: but overall I’d say if you like Valhalla try to get a little more out of it before going to a new amp.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 7
I also use a Valhalla 2 with the Bifrost 2 and HD800S. I’m very happy with the combo, but funny enough, I‘m also bouncing around the idea of adding another headphone amp to my desktop and a cheap HDV820 was on the short list. If you’re using the stock tubes on Valhalla 2, you may want to check out the Valhalla tube rolling thread. I upgraded the input tubes to some Brimar CV-4033’s and it’s definitely breathed some new life into it, the sound is terrific.

If you‘re still interested in Schiit - I wonder if the Lyr 3 might be what you’re looking for. If you’re near the Schittr in Newhall, might be worth making a trip down to try a Jotunheim and Lyr side by side; however I have not heard either amp. Lyr 3 is definitely better for tube rolling - matched pairs for the Valhalla can be a pain :triportsad:. Personally I am keeping my ears to the ground on the upcoming 10-tube Folkvangr amp which might be something of a “super Valhalla”.

I’ve also been eyeing the WA2 from Woo Audio - well, I was, until I heard that Folkvangr might actually happen :L3000: but overall I’d say if you like Valhalla try to get a little more out of it before going to a new amp.
I use it with Golden Lions. They for sure much better then stock tubes but still... Most annoying thing is the peak in mids that makes listening experience fatigue. I'm not really a bass-head so I can live with weak bass. So now I'm using only hdv820. Sennheiser engineers did everything technically right (the only weak spot I think is DAC) but forgot to put soul into this device:)

Unfortunately I'm a bit far from Newhall.

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 7
I may be biased but I just got a WA2 for my HD800 S and am enjoying it. However, you may be tempted to spend more on tubes. Possibly a lot more.
Just curious, did you ever try Valhalla or hdv820? I was looking to WA2 as well but it would be nice to have at least a little input on how it compares to Valhalla or hdv820. To have a bit more confidence :)

Nov 10, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 7
I have a Burson DAC amp combo for mine and it’s pretty good.
The composer series is as high as I’ve used with HD800s.
They don’t have too many amp only units but look at. https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/soloist-3x-performance/

The sound does vary based on op-amps you get or use. I have all 4 as Burson vivid currently and it maybe a bit clinical if you like tube warmth. It’s not cold, just neutral and crisp.
Strangely the supercharger power pack does change the warmth a bit, seems to make the lower bass sustain or harmonics come through a little more. The other is decay on highs is increased so clearer on some tracks.
I thought it was going to do nothing, but that’s the best I can describe the differences.

I just started running an EQ on the 800s roughly 1/2 the gain shown in the frequency response graph that’s on the usb drive that came with them. Though still playing with it.
But without EQ it is still really good.

Nov 10, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #7 of 7
Just curious, did you ever try Valhalla or hdv820? I was looking to WA2 as well but it would be nice to have at least a little input on how it compares to Valhalla or hdv820. To have a bit more confidence :)
No. The only other amp I have tried the HD800 S with is the Headamp GSX Mini. The mini is a Solid State amp and the Woo is much more listenable as a tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back