Amp recommendation for Edition XS and AEON Flow Open
Mar 20, 2023 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

IkSak

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for an amp recommendation. My office setup is presently a Schiit Bifrost connected to the PC using an optical cable, and a Magni 3 amp that powers my Edition XS and AEON Flow Open headphones.

My budget is limited to US$200 for two reasons: 1) my country's currency is weak compared to the US dollar, 2) after that price, I need to pay customs (aprox 25%) of the amp costs. I don't mind buying second hand in eBay or the forums.

So far I have found two options that fit my situation: 1) Drop THX AAA Linear at $199 (sold thorugh Amazon, which includes free shipping to Colombia) and 2) Drop SMSL SH-8 atu US$ 145 (through Drop, shipping included to Colombia).

Do you have any ideas of other amps I should look at?

Mar 20, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 6
A Schiit Asgard 3 would make a nice match visually with the Bifrost and will power those headphones very well.

I used one with my Aeon Flow Open and Noire for a while and it could power them to insane volume with no distortion.

That said, I sold it and use an ifI Diablo these days. It isn't as technically well suited but it sounds great and suits my use case.

I did have a Magni Heresy and frankly I think that is all the amplifier needed for those headphones. I am wondering if you will get much improvement over the Magni you already have without going to something considerably above what you want to spend.

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 6
The Topping A30Pro is on sale in many areas, and like it a lot more because it's the same power on all connectors and you'll save a bundle on balanced cables. The THX789 can only handle 2.1v from a DAC or it clips internally in high gain, something only mentioned in the manual after you buy it...

Mar 22, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #5 of 6
For $200 I will go for the Fiio BTR5, it's powerful and I love the portability.

May 11, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for all your recommendations. I finally got a good deal for a Monoprice THX 887. Lovely match specially for the XS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back