Amp recommendation for DT880...
Jul 16, 2005 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

H5N1

Head-Fier
I will be getting a DT880 pretty soon. I already have the HeadRoom Micro hooked up my computer/Grados. I want to have something "little" better to hook up my CD player. What do y'all DT880ers use to push them???
Budget<$800

Thanks

Jul 16, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #2 of 14
My DT880 sounds very good with the Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear.

It has gain switches you can use to increase volume if desired; the DT880 is relatively inefficient and some users may find a little boost useful.

In my experience, the gain switches allows greater flexibility with the volume knob. I listen at a wide range of volume levels, from "barely audible ultra-low volume" to "better turn it down, don't want to risk tinnitus."

It also has a set of volume-controlled RCA outs, allowing it to function as a preamp.

Jul 16, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #4 of 14
I never had a synercic combo as the DT880/EarMax A.E. !!! Simply for music...
My brother (felipe) has the two amps Lehemann and EarMax A.E. and he also thinks what I have said now.

Best!
Nicola

Jul 16, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 14
I run my DT880s with an M³ at home which they really sing with. The variable bass boost is nice to help get the ultra low freqs level with the rest of the spectrum. This amp cost me about $300 to build, and there are builders out there for it.

The supermacro costs about the same, if your looking for a portable.

Jul 16, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete
I run my DT880s with an M³ at home which they really sing with. The variable bass boost is nice to help get the ultra low freqs level with the rest of the spectrum. This amp cost me about $300 to build, and there are builders out there for it.

The supermacro costs about the same, if your looking for a portable.

what opamps are you using? *curious*

ps, the M³ is an awesome amp and it doesn't cost the world either :p

Jul 16, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 14
Dt880s pair well with the Ray Samuels HR-2, IMO. The amp warms the occasionally bland sound of the Beyers, and it has the power to drive them with authority. Bass response is striking.

BW

Jul 16, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 14
If you're not just considering basic sound quality, I would think a type of crossfeed will change the sound much more than the basic sound quality difference between any two amps (well maybe not if an amp is severly coloring or under powering).

I happily use a Corda HA-2 with the crossfeed engaged all the time (except for mono recordings).

Jul 16, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 14
Corda HA-2 does a great job (I have read it was tuned using Beyers), but I believe a tube-amp is a better match for the DT880. I am happily using a Woo Audio 3 with a Sylvania 7236 power tube and a pair of Mullard ECC-88 signal tubes. No more dry mids, great extension at both ends and speed and detail almost as good as the Corda.
EDIT: forgot to add that the crossfed does help with the rather flat DT880 soundstage, that's an advantage of using the corda (or your micro).

Jul 16, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 14
one more thing
rolleyes.gif
What CDP will you use? The DT880 are pretty revealing, and don't like cheap/bright sources

Jul 16, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf
one more thing
rolleyes.gif
What CDP will you use? The DT880 are pretty revealing, and don't like cheap/bright sources

Shanling T100C.

Jul 16, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf
EDIT: forgot to add that the crossfed does help with the rather flat DT880 soundstage, that's an advantage of using the corda (or your micro).

'Rather flat' compared to what?

Jul 17, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1
Shanling T100C.

hat's off! So you got your tube magic already...
cool.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Fox
'Rather flat' compared to what?

I am sorry I should have expanded that sentence (or, even better wait not be in a hurry before replying).
The DT880 is rather flat compared to the one of the AKG phones I own/owned. Both K501 and K340 soundstage is so realistic that most of the times I feel that crossfed (especially the "strong" one of the Headroom Supreme I had before the Corda) is just messing up the imaging of the phones. The DT880 have a wide soundstage, but much flatter than the AKG's: with better recordings this gives you the feeling of being up there with the musicians, but with the DT880 the majority of my CDs simply sound more natural with crossfed on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back