Amp recommendation for DT770 80ohms - possibly E07k?
Mar 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Viperr

New Head-Fier
Hey, I recently got the DT770 80ohm and I've been loving them so far as they are my first "good" cans. I've read that an amp really helps with these, so I really want to find out how much better they sound. I've been reading about Amps/DACs and the two best that I've found were the E07k and the E17. The price difference is ~$50 so I was also wondering if the sound quality is noticable (to an amateur audiophile).

Thanks guys!

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Hey, I recently got the DT770 80ohm and I've been loving them so far as they are my first "good" cans. I've read that an amp really helps with these, so I really want to find out how much better they sound. I've been reading about Amps/DACs and the two best that I've found were the E07k and the E17. The price difference is ~$50 so I was also wondering if the sound quality is noticable (to an amateur audiophile).

Thanks guys!

What do you want to spend on your amp?  What are you listening to it through ie: Computer, Android device, idevice?  

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 5
I'm in the same boat. I run mine off a Macbook Air and am quite satisfied with the sound and volume (any louder than 20% is too loud). I've heard so many people say that they benefit greatly from an amp, but I've also read a few posts from people who could not tell the difference (in terms of sound signature). So, I'm beginning to question if those who say they need to be amped could pass an ABX test -- maybe it's just a placebo. Has anyone else gone from a Macbook Air/Pro to amped and noticed a real difference?

I've been looking into many amps and amp/dac combos:

- E07K
- E10
- E12
- E17
- Audioengine D1
- Dragonfly
- Microstreamer

My budget is flexible, but I want to be sure there will be an audible improvement -- not something so minute that I'd have to sit and critically listen to for a while to discern any difference.

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 5
I bought the E17 for the same cans. Happy with the results compared to my E10.

I don't like the 770's much any more, not sure if anything about the amping contributed to that.

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 5
Alright, at this moment I am contemplating between the Fiio E07k or getting an audio interface + a DAC. I plan on recording so the audio interface would be nice, but does anyone know the difference between that and a dedicated headphone amp? And in that case, if anyone has any information about decent DACs and audio interfaces, I'd appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back