Amp recommendation for Aeon Closed X headphones, do I need an expensive amp?
Jul 22, 2023 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

LaputanMachine

New Head-Fier
It appears my PC can't drive these headphones for whatever reason, so I need an amp. I've been recommended FiiO K7 for my Aeon Closed X headphones but it's pretty damn expensive.

Considering the Closed X headphones have an impedance of 12.5 ohms, do I really need an expensive amp for my PC? Are there any cheaper alternatives that'll essentially have the same quality as the FiiO K7?

Can I get some recommendations please?
EDIT: I meant FiiO K7 instead of X7

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 6
Just about any PC headphone jack has more than enough power) voltage to drive 12.5-Ohm headphones.
If you plug the Aeon into a smart phone, I'm guessing phone will drive them louder and better than that PC jack.
I'm guessing it the way the PC provides power (in a crude way or impedance issue) to those headphones.
A Schiit Fulla ($109) would do a better job.
Even cheaper, an IBasso DC05 ($60?)
Or a Xduoo XD-05 (price?).

And there are many more options.

Budget?

Jul 22, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 6
Just about any PC headphone jack has more than enough power) voltage to drive 12.5-Ohm headphones.
If you plug the Aeon into a smart phone, I'm guessing phone will drive them louder and better than that PC jack.
I'm guessing it the way the PC provides power (in a crude way or impedance issue) to those headphones.
A Schiit Fulla ($109) would do a better job.
Even cheaper, an IBasso DC05 ($60?)
Or a Xduoo XD-05 (price?).

And there are many more options.

Budget?
When I plug the headphones into my macbook, they are a lot louder. Not as loud as my old WH-1000XM5s, but they are much louder than when they were in my PC.

My budget is £200, but I'd rather not spend that money. If the sound will be a lot better with the FiiO K7s, I'll get it I guess, but I was just wondering will it be much different getting a cheap AMp, like that Ibasso DC05 you recommended.

Jul 22, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 6
For the amount of money you spent for the Aeon's, I would think you would budget at least enough for the Schiit Fulla.

Jul 22, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 6
For the amount of money you spent for the Aeon's, I would think you would budget at least enough for the Schiit Fulla.
Ok..
One question, I've never used amps before. Will I be able to make these headphones as loud as my old pair? Is that a thing amps do?
And do you think I should go ahead with the FiiO K7 purchase?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back