Amp recommendation DT880 600
May 12, 2010 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sh00t4par

Head-Fier
After reading a lot of posts about the Beyer DT880 600 I have decided to pull the trigger. I have read some posts on amps for this headphone but would like some suggestions if it's OK. I will be using it with my iMac and my music collection is about half Apple lossless and the rest AAC from iTunes. I am not sure if a DAC would be a good idea for me in this situation. I am looking to spend no more than $400 for the AMP and DAC if needed. However I would be willing to spend a 100 or so more if it was to make a huge difference. I just don't want to have these beautiful headphones and only be using then to half their potential. Thanks!

May 12, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 9
Definitely get a DAC either way.  The uDAC is a very good value in the price range for listening from a computer only (it only has usb input).

uDAC + LD MKIII about be about $350.  The MKIII is a tube amp and sounds really good with the DT880/600 IMO.

uDAC + Bravo v2 would be about $160.  The Bravo v2 is sold on ebay, is very cheap, but has way more than enough power for the DT880/600s, and actually doesn't sound half bad with them either.  A very good budget alternative IMO.

May 12, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 9
The Ming Da MC 84C07 is a great amp, and is supposed to match incredibly well with 600 Ohm Beyers.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/276469/more-choices-when-will-it-end-pacific-valve-ming-da-mc-84c07/0

That is a thread about the stated amp. I have the amp, but sadly do not have 600 Ohm Beyers myself. The amp has been an amazing purchase for me, though, even with low impedance cans I have not had hum like some others have reported. After I get a new DAC the DT 880 600 Ohm version will be my next purchase.

May 15, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 9
I'd hate to disrupt this thread suggesting only mains amps, but to tell you the truth the D4, a USB portable DAC from iBasso is a GREAT amp for the DT880 600Ω. I've not finished reviewing it, but it is at home in that impedance range and even though it is USB or battery powered, it has a LOT of power and has no trouble at any frequency with 600Ω. It does the job for about 200$ and probably in raw performance terms, outdoes a lot of mains amps. Otherwise, the Einar Sound VC01 is a great amp at exactly 400$. But, like the D4, it is neutral. If you want non neutral amps, there are lots to choose from. 

May 16, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 9
I have the D4 as well as the DT880/600s.  I'm very surprised you think they mate so well.   I think they sound OK together, pretty good actually but I feel that the D4 is underpowered for some low recorded songs - runs out of volume before distortion, even on 9V (which you pretty much have to use, making it inconvenient for a desktop setup to constantly have to worry about batteries).  With the topkit and buffers removed, there's a little more volume before distortion, though.  With the topkit, on songs that are not recorded low, you can get plenty of volume, but for softer songs or songs with soft parts, I find myself wanting more at times and I hate that.  Overall, I think the DT880/600s sound much better on the LD MKIII, but YMMV.  Both the bravo v2 and MKIII offer a noticeably bigger soundstage to my ears as well, and just sound more "effortless".  The D4 is certainly good enough to do the job, at least temporarily, but I think there are better choices to get the most of the them.

May 16, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 9
I think we listen to vastly different volumes! I've never had trouble with volume with the DT880. What OS are you using? As for 'sounding' better, it is just a matter of which amp has more disotortion. The D4 sounds amazing, but if you don't like the neutral signature, another, less neutral amp might do the trick.

May 16, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I think we listen to vastly different volumes! I've never had trouble with volume with the DT880. What OS are you using? As for 'sounding' better, it is just a matter of which amp has more disotortion. The D4 sounds amazing, but if you don't like the neutral signature, another, less neutral amp might do the trick.

For most tracks and most of the times, the D4 can get the DT880s MORE than loud enough.  But occasionally, it's not enough, and that pisses me off, rendering certain songs basically unplayable IMO with the combo.  I'm using windows, and I have the 2.2k mod on the D4 to prevent further distortion/clipping from the DAC portion when taking the volume control in the OS to the max.

As far as distortion, if you up the volume on the D4 with the stock buffers installed, even on 9V, you get a lot of audible distortion before you max out the knob.  On 5V it's even worse.  Without the buffers, the 5V distortion point moves to roughly where the 9V with buffers used to be, and the 9V moves to nearly the max volume.  If you are referring to tube amps introducing distortion, then I guess that's just a personal tube vs SS preference.

I guess we just have different musical preferences overall.  I like the DT880/600s better on my MKIII, EF1, and even bravo v2 as compared to the D4 for the much bigger sound stage and fuller, more powerful sound, which is particularly noticeable in the bass area where impact nearly doubles to my ears, and overall presence of the bass sounds more natural to me.

To each their own though.  I'm not trying to knock the D4.  I think it's a great little unit, just not well suited as the primary amp for 600 ohm headphones, in my personal opinion based on my listening experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back