Amp recomendation for Sure SRH1840?
Aug 9, 2017 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Gorf

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I am running my new SRH1840 headphones via the headphone-out of an Altec Lansing speakers set connected to my pc. I'm finding the sound a little light - lacking in bass strength. I'm not a bass "monster", but I'd like a little more than I'm getting right now. The headphones have been burned-in for 8 hours with pink noise & a further 2 hours with a few albums.

My music preference is pro-rock, such as Frost, Arena & It Bites.

Unless advised otherwise, I may find a mobile amp more useful as this could be used with a laptop & I also eventually hope to buy a DAP (maybe Plenue 2). If instead a desktop kit is preferred,that is fine. Budget up to the price of a Chord Mojo or equivalent.

Thanks.

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 10
Do you want a DAC as well? Or just an amp?

I'm not sure. I suppose that if it's portable, then a single unit would be better for carrying. If a fixed desktop unit, then a separate DAC is fine. The headphones will be used either connected to my desktop pc, connected to my portable (when travelling for instance, or located elsewhere in the house) or connected to my future DAP.

Aug 10, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 10
I think you should look seriously at a Mojo, It is an outstanding portable solution and it sounds absolutely terrific. Maybe read about it and see what you think. If you want desktop, I would go with maybe a Modi Multibit and a Vali 2 or Magni 2 and see what you think. Either option would work great with your Shures, IMO. FWIW. YMMV, of course.

Aug 10, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks, I think that you are right, the Mojo is probably the way to go.

Do you know of a good source in the UK for connecting cables?

Aug 11, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the link.

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #8 of 10
I knew someone who dealt with Cables UK at 44 345 676 9255. Maybe check them out and see what you think. www.cablesuk.co.uk.

Thanks for that link. I ordered a couple toslink cables yesterday & they arrived this morning. Excellent service! Still waiting for my Mojo to even be dispatched! :frowning2:

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #10 of 10
The Mojo arrived at last. I have a little issue with the soundcard to Mojo toslink cable as the socket on the sound card is not the same. It look as though it needs some sort of 3.5mm plug. Would the cable image below be the correct part? If so, do you know of a suitable supplier?

er_photo_140653.jpg s-l500.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back