Amp Questions for Beyer DT831
Apr 12, 2003 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I've just ordered a pair of Beyer DT831 headphones, to replace my Sennheiser HD497 and Grado SR80 headphones as both of those sets of cans have things about them that make them impossible for me to want to use for longer than a short period.

I am under the impression that I may need an amplifier to get the best out of the DT831's. Currently, I have been using the headphone jack of my Rotel RA-01 amplifier.

However, I have read in a few places where the headphone jacks of some hifi amps are as good, or even better than some entry level headphone amps. For example, someone on audioreview claims their NAD C320BEE amp has a better headphone socket than a Creek OBH-11 headphone amp. As I dont have access to anyone who owns a headphone amp, it will be impossible to compare my stereo amp with a headphone amp without actually buying one.

Would I be correct in assuming therefore that if it doesnt sound musical, lacks bass, and has harsh treble, then perhaps the headphone socket is struggling?

Another thing is, I have once before had a very cheap (and poor) headphone amp, which connected to my tape/recording output of my integrated amp. I assume that a better one will work in the same way, yes?

So, which amps could be recommended for less than £200 UKP (approx $300)? I have read from this site a number of people recommend the Creek OBH-11 amp with the DT831's, and Duncan suggested to me the META42 amp, which from my searches, I assume is a DIY amp? I'm no good with DIY, so is it possible that I could get one of these made for me, if thats the best option.

I've also considered the Rega Ear, but I have read that the MF X-Can is not a good match for the DT831's...

So, any comments or other suggestions?

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2003 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 8
PBirkett...

Hi again... I should of thought about this, about 30 minutes ago... but i've just traded away my META... its going to the US again, probably next weekend...

But, if you want to hear how good a portable amp can sound (albeit the fore-runner to the META42)... I can't see why I couldn't loan you my CHA47 for a week or two?

See what people here say (I have no experience with the 831s, so the CHA47 might not compliment them at all)... and if you want that to happen, let me know
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Apr 13, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Mr. Jan Meier

That's Dr. Jan Meier
wink.gif

The 831's benefit from the 120 ohms as well? I always thought that was made for the 931's only, and IMHO, i think he's a bit daft for it. Guess my ears are just funky though

Apr 14, 2003 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 8
Cheers for the comments guys, sorry about the delay for responding, I have had barely any access to the net this weekend. I am quite tempted to go for the Creek, as the Meier amp is quite a bit out of my price range really (ie it costs as much as my integrated stereo amp cost).

Duncan, I think I will take you up on your offer to loan me your amp for a week or two, as I just want to see how the Rotel's headphone socket stands up against a dedicated amp.

Cheers
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2003 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by pbirkett
Would I be correct in assuming therefore that if it doesnt sound musical, lacks bass, and has harsh treble, then perhaps the headphone socket is struggling?

Correct. When I first got my DT831s they sounded anywhere from awful to mediocre when plugged directly into source headphone jacks (walkmans, boom boxes, even computers). When I teamed them up with a MG Head OTL they started to sing! The DT831 are high impedance cans like the Sennheiser HD600 and needs a good amp to play well.

Apr 15, 2003 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by pbirkett
Duncan, I think I will take you up on your offer to loan me your amp for a week or two, as I just want to see how the Rotel's headphone socket stands up against a dedicated amp.

Cheers
wink.gif

I can't do it until April 26th at the earliest... but if you want to PM me your address some time between now and then... I'll sort it out for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Duncan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back