Amp question, is it really necessary?
Aug 3, 2005 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

plyr

100+ Head-Fier
I'm buying a sennHD650
580smile.gif
and i currently have a logitech z5300 pluged into a audigy 2 ZS, i use the pod of the logitech
for headfones, my question is if i will get any trouble with sound volume without any amp, i'm not sure if the logitech works as an amp, since it has one in the back of the sub.

PS: im not posting on the amp section because this is a sennheiser question, are those amps really needed for all around use with HD650?

Aug 3, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 16
You'll probably get enough volume out, but headphone jacks on speaker systems tend to suck in terms of quality. The 2ZS alone would probably do better than that. I hope you're planning to upgrade to a decent amp and source l8r, otherwise the HD650's potential will be wasted.

Aug 3, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 16
I might be wrong, but I think the logitech's headphone out might create hissing noise, so I think you better plug the headphones directly to your card.

Simple solution is to get a mini - mini extender, plug one end to your audigy out, and the other one to your logitech in, and when you wanna use the headphone, just replace the logitech in with your headphone jack (after you convert the headphone jack from 1/4 to 1/8).

But watch out for loud volume, remember to lower your PC volume first before replacing the speaker connection with your headphones.

Aug 3, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
I might be wrong, but I think the logitech's headphone out might create hissing noise, so I think you better plug the headphones directly to your card.

Simple solution is to get a mini - mini extender, plug one end to your audigy out, and the other one to your logitech in, and when you wanna use the headphone, just replace the logitech in with your headphone jack (after you convert the headphone jack from 1/4 to 1/8).

But watch out for loud volume, remember to lower your PC volume first before replacing the speaker connection with your headphones.

Noise is when you turn the volume all the way and get hissings, is it? So, the z5300 dont have it, at least with a HD202 or with the system itself.
About the 1/8 jack, HD650 allready come with adaptors, so it will not be a problem... My concerne is with the volume of the headfone, i know i probably wont hear the ultimate sound with this source, but, if the sound volume is OK, them i have time to choose a good amp later...

thx for the replys...
cool.gif

Aug 4, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 16
wow, i tested the fone for 20min now, and wow, the sound volume is OK!
600smile.gif

the quality is outstanding for me too, im using in the logitech pod with the adaptor that came with the senns...

Aug 4, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 16
My Chaintech AV-710 also provides enough volume but an amp will most likely increase the sound quality. There's a number of good amps to choose from and I think that a $120 investment should get you pretty far. However, it's also the Head-Fi spriti to spend other people's money, which might be something to keep in mind.
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
However, it's also the Head-Fi [spirit]to spend other people's money, which might be something to keep in mind.
biggrin.gif

LOL! Yeah, we should all be in Congress.
orphsmile.gif

Aug 4, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by plyr
wow, i tested the fone for 20min now, and wow, the sound volume is OK!
600smile.gif

the quality is outstanding for me too, im using in the logitech pod with the adaptor that came with the senns...

You're listening at 50% or less of it's full capacity. Get a new source and a headphone amp!

Aug 4, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
LOL! Yeah, we should all be in Congress.
orphsmile.gif

Imagine a big sign in front of the Capitol saying: "Sorry about your wallet."
biggrin.gif

edit: And to add something constructive to the post. There are several DIY pr semi-DIY solutions to fairly inexpensive but good sounding amps in this price range. Some time ago, the 'Pimeta' or the more portable 'Mint' used to be popular models.

Aug 4, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
you are mean!

If by mean you mean super fantastic.. then yes, yes I am.

Aug 4, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
You're listening at 50% or less of it's full capacity. Get a new source and a headphone amp!

I tested with the HD650's directly indo the audigy2ZS and at the maximun volume i get only moderate level of volume on the HD650, with the fone plugued on the logitech pod i get better levels, i also turned the windows volume a little down to prevent clipping on the foobar2000, and the volume at the logitech pod is pretty ok, i get moderate level of volume at the middle volume on logitech or something more than that, with the maximun volume it gets loud for me, so i thinks they work as an amp for that reason, theres no hissing noise also, the sound is pretty ok...

Aug 4, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

I tested with the plug directly indo the audigy2ZS and at the maximun volume i get only moderate level of volume on the HD650, with the fone plugued on the logitech pod i get better levels, i also turned the windows volume a little down to prevent clipping on the foobar2000, and the volume at the logitech pod is pretty ok, i get moderate level of volume at the middle volume on logitech or something more than that, with the maximun volume it gets loud for me, so i thinks they work as an amp for that reason, theres no hissing noise also, the sound is pretty ok...

Good to hear! now run away from this place and be happy!

Aug 4, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

I tested with the HD650's directly indo the audigy2ZS and at the maximun volume i get only moderate level of volume on the HD650, with the fone plugued on the logitech pod i get better levels, i also turned the windows volume a little down to prevent clipping on the foobar2000, and the volume at the logitech pod is pretty ok, i get moderate level of volume at the middle volume on logitech or something more than that, with the maximun volume it gets loud for me, so i thinks they work as an amp for that reason, theres no hissing noise also, the sound is pretty ok...

If you heard the 650s hooked up to a real source and amp, you would not be able to listen to it anymore on your setup, I hope you do plan to upgrade source and amp in the near future.

But, if you are happy with it, don't worry about it and just enjoy the music for now, and stay away from here
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back