Amp purchase suggestion
Jan 7, 2007 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

calcajun

100+ Head-Fier
So i have the portable amp covered. I think i would like to just purchase an awesome amp to stay grounded for serious listening.

I want to make one purchase and will live with it for many years

I think i want to go tube, unless strong suggestions otherwise.

Can spend one thousand USD but if something less thats always ok.

Currently i have a Headroom Micro DAC. I will most likely order an Apogee Mini Dac tomorow.

I own Grado SR 325I. Pretty happy with the Grado's but nothing to compare as i purchased these straight out with the understanding they were more neautral and if i had to i could eq a bit.

My source is mostly FLAC from PC to DAC to AMP
or
FLAC from DAP to DAC to AMP
or
CD to DAC to AMP

My music taste is classic rock to run of the mill top 40 with a little country and metal thrown in but mostly mainstream top 40.

In other words i just want to do it and get it over and enjoy the music.
I am ready to buy NOW! :)

Thanks

Jan 8, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 11
And it looks so good to! :)

I have till the 10th for the discount price.
They suggest 6080 for Grado’s. Any comment on this?

So 1st suggestion for...

Source optical out - Apogee Mini DAC - Singlepower Audio Extreme - Grado SR 325i .

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by calcajun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And it looks so good to! :)

I have till the 10th for the discount price.
They suggest 6080 for Grado’s. Any comment on this?

So 1st suggestion for...

Source optical out - Apogee Mini DAC - Singlepower Audio Extreme - Grado SR 325i .

I have used the Extreme with 6as7/5998/6080 amd 6528 output tubes. The amp is so powerful any output tube choice drives the grados with authority. I like the 6sn7/7n7 gain tube with 5998's or the 2c51/ 6414 with the 6080's. Some may prefer the 6080's with Grado's because the top end is slightly softer sounding. The Grado headphones I use are the Alessandro M2Si and a heavily modded grado SR-80. This amp is very good sounding, powerful and surprisingly small compared to most Singlepower tube amps.

Here are some pics ....

Notice that each pic has a different tube set in the amp.

HPIM0144.jpg

HPIM0126.jpg

HPIM0240.jpg

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 11
from my understanding, the extreem is more than 1K... i'd get the PPX Slam though, it's perfect at it's pricepoint.

Jan 8, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 11
The Singlepower stuff is excellent! Mikhail makes soe great amps, and they also look gorgeous!

Another option would be Ray Samuels Audio. The RSA Raptor is $1175, just a tad over your budget.

Either way you're gonna get an excellent amp that will serve you well for many years.

Jan 8, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 11
I, too, am budget minded and wanted an amp to last. I have been fortunate enough to hear many great amps, some that I'll never be able to afford, but after hearing the Extreme at the Fl. meet in Dec., I ordered one the next day without hesitation. This amp has power, soundstage, speed, and detail. With the seemingly endless tube choices, it can accomodate any headphone upgrade (or downgrade
biggrin.gif
) you'd wish. It sounds great with my K1000s, my K340s, my Senns, my Darth Beyers, and from Earl's posts, I gather it's sweet with Grados too. This is my definition of an amp that won't be leaving my home anytime soon. I went for the Platinum and a couple other goodies, because for me, it's worth it. Now that I have it, it don't regret it one bit.

DSCN0834-1.jpg

Jan 8, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #9 of 11
I had already read up a little on many of the tube amps mentioned on the site along with what users had to say about them.
I already had the Extreme in mind. I was also hoping that suggestions would lead closer to that decision. As it stands i realy feel good about the Extreme.

As for the price...
" 1.Singlepower Extreme ($899.00 seasonal special) $999 +shipping after
January 10th, 2007 "

Jan 8, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by calcajun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had already read up a little on many of the tube amps mentioned on the site along with what users had to say about them.
I already had the Extreme in mind. I was also hoping that suggestions would lead closer to that decision. As it stands i realy feel good about the Extreme.

As for the price...
" 1.Singlepower Extreme ($899.00 seasonal special) $999 +shipping after
January 10th, 2007 "

You won't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back