Amp/Preamp for HD650s that beats LDMKIV and plays well with others?
Mar 28, 2010 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

McPanse

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the process of building a headphone and speaker rig around a PS Audio Digital Link III DAC I just bought from a fellow head-fier.

My main headphones are HD-650s and I'm looking for an amp that that can coax more out of them than the LD MKIV. Budget is $500 to $1000. Pre-amp outs aren't essential, but would be nice since they would allow me to insert a power amp in the chain to run my Dali Ikon 1 bookshelf speakers (I'm using an old Denon AVR for now).

While I'm happy with the HD-650s, I want to buy an amp that'll be a good match with some of the other headphones I might buy in the by and by. The include the HE-5 (or their $700 successor), the D5000 or D7000, higher-end Grados or the T-1.

So far, my list of amp candidates include the following:

Amp/Pre-amp
Music Hall PH25.2
Audio GD C2
Darkvoice 3322
Woo Audio 3
Darkvoice 337
Darkvoice 337SE
Gilmore GS-1
Woo Audio 2

Amps (no preamp outs)
HiFiMan EF-5
PS Audio GCHA
Woo Audio 3+
Meier Audio CANTATE.2
Woo Audio 6
Meier Audio Corda Concerto

If I go with a straight amp (no preamp outs), I'll either have to split the PS Audio DLIII's RCA outs to feed my speaker amp (integrated or pre in this scenario), or buy an amp with XLR inputs. If I buy quality splitters, would there be any loss of signal involved?

Any input on HD-650 amp synergy with an eye toward adding a second pair of cans down the road would be appreciated.

FWIW, the Woo amps are very appealing to me. Darkvoice seems a good value but a bit shaky, given reports of the partners splitting up and the La Figaros having a hum problem.

Not much data around here about the PS Audio head amp, but part of me is drawn toward building an entirely PS Audio system -- source, head amp and speaker amp. It's doable but expensive.

Mar 28, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 6
I have a new 337 on the way to me from China along with a couple sets of new tubes. My main phone is the 650s so I will be able to give you a good sense hopefully on that.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 6
Take a look at Canuck57's profile. He has the DV337 and has had many other amps. I've heard my 650s on both his DV337 and the balanced Little Dot MKVII amp and DAC1. Single ended I might prefer the 337 but not by a whole lot. The Little Dot in balanced mode is another story....I'd take it over the 337 any day. Both the DAC-1 and the MKVII together cost about the same shipped as the 337. I'm not buying another amp until I can go balanced with these cans. It is the most significant improvement I've heard....period.

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #5 of 6
I ended up going with the PS Audio GCHA. To my ears, it's a big improvement over the LDMKIV. The GCHA takes firm control of the HD-650s and truly makes them sing. Plenty of power here. I'm hopeful this amp will be a good match with the HiFiMan HE-5 or HE-5LEs, assuming they live up to their high expectations.

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by McPanse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the process of building a headphone and speaker rig around a PS Audio Digital Link III DAC I just bought from a fellow head-fier.

Not much data around here about the PS Audio head amp, but part of me is drawn toward building an entirely PS Audio system -- source, head amp and speaker amp. It's doable but expensive.

Another vote here for the GCHA. This amp is quite powerfull. I really enjoy it with my HD650/800's and Denon 7000's
Some deeper searching here on Head-Fi will give you some nice reviews, 6Moons also has a review on it.
They sell for $499 atm, there is a thread here on Head-Fi for that.
I guess the setup you are thinking of building is with the Trio amps? Will be quite nice I'm sure!
I am building a PSAudio system too, I have the PWD and will soon add the Bridge. Later on the PWNAS and PWAmp. I am keeping my GCHA and will even upgrade it with the Cullen Mod. I'll add a tube amp if my little experiment with the LD MkIII turns out well, I'm thinking of the DNA Sonett.
I figured I'd prefer to have the choice between an SS and tube amp than to have only one amp that costs the same as those two together.
And both the GCHA and Sonett seem to be bargains for the quality they offer. But now with the GCHA at $499, I wouldn't doubt.

EDIT: Sorry, hadn't noticed your second post. I bet you will be pretty happy with it!
I see you have the Silver Dragon cable for your HD650. I just ordered the same cable yesterday.
What are your impressions vs the stock cable?
I also have used a LD MkIII arriving tomorrow hopefully. I really wonder what the tube sound will be like compared to the GCHA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back