Amp/Preamp/DAC Help
Jun 16, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
I am about to buy some Denon D7000s, and I wanted to know whether a product like the well advertised Burson HA-160D (an amp/preamp/dac) could be connected to my computer and then connected to my D7000s. This way, the HA-160D could act as both an amp and a DAC. Is this possible,

Yes, if your computer has USB then you can connect it directly to the Burson 

Also, in the future, I plan on buying a turntable, and so could the HA-160D act as both a preamp and an amp when connected to the turntable,

No - for a turntable you need a phono preamp this has built-in RIAA EQ and much higher gain to cope with the mV level signals coming off a turntable compared to line level which is typically 1 or 2 V.

with my D7000s being the audio output? Or will I have to buy a separate preamp and amp?
Thanks in advance for any answers

PS - I'm just using the HA-160D as an example of an amp/preamp/DAC that I know. I have never heard it with the D7000s, so I don't know whether they synergize well. 

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 5
Devices like DACs/amps don't need to be separate units. Everything with a headphone-labelled jack usually has a (headphone) amp built in, which doesn't necessarily make it worse than a separate amp (contrary to some people's beliefs).

Also, look at the specs of the piece you mentioned which clearly state how much power it can output.

Jun 17, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
@nick_charles - do I need both an amp and a DAC if I want to listen to music through my computer or will just a DAC suffice?

The Burson is a combination DAC/Amp there are many such devices that will work. A DAC that is just a DAC alone will not as it only outputs a line level signal and has no headphone socket or volume control

Here is a cheaper example of a combination DAC/AMP

http://cgi.ebay.com/09-NEW-VERSION-ZERO-24-192KHZ-DAC-HEAD-AMP-USB-OPA2604-/110606551605?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c0aa0a35

Users who are viewing this thread

Back