AMP Played Very Loud
Jun 1, 2010 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

CareyPrice31

Montreal Canadiens
So I got a new AMP and it for some reason makes my IEM's EXTREMELY loud.

My IEM's Played EXTREMELY loud for 2 seconds before I clicked stop.

Is this bad for the IEM? Could it of done any damage besides to my ear?

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 13
The idea of an "amp" (short for "amplifier" see: any existing english dictionary) is to make... the sound... louder... If you were under the impression that it was going to improve the sound quality, you're not correct. An amplifier may make a source with a small output sound better since the output was bottlenecking the volume. On the subject of earphones, too loud a sound can damage your earphones, and this is when we come to the idea of the volume control. Turn... the volume... down.

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 13

Did it ever occur to you that this AMP played the sound louder than anyone can listen to? I was on volume 1 and it was too loud?
Quote:
The idea of an "amp" (short for "amplifier" see: any existing english dictionary) is to make... the sound... louder... If you were under the impression that it was going to improve the sound quality, you're not correct. An amplifier may make a source with a small output sound better since the output was bottlenecking the volume. On the subject of earphones, too loud a sound can damage your earphones, and this is when we come to the idea of the volume control. Turn... the volume... down.

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 13
In that case, why do you need the amp?

Edit: Furthermore, it would also help if you mentioned what earphones, MP3 and amplifier you're using

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 13
What earphones, MP3 and amp are you using?

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 13

First off, I found your first post very misleading.

After researching, volume level cannot really damage an IEM. Especially when being played at a loud level for a few seconds.

Second off, an AMP shouldn't be extremely loud at the lowest volume.

I don't want your help anymore, sorry.
Quote:
What earphones, MP3 and amp are you using?

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 13
Ok? Thank you? Erm... I didn't say I needed any help, since you were the one asking for help. I will admit that my knowledge is limited, and that I might be wrong, so, even if you're not helping me, should you be helping others to help you by at least telling us what amplifier you're using, so at least other people would have some idea as to what's going on.

If you don't enjoy what I have said, then fair and well, after this post I'll stop commenting on this thread, but at least I, myself, don't think I've been extremely unreasonable. If you found my posts absolutely disgusting, then I apologise for my responses.

And if you'll excuse me, I'll just go into a hole and cry now

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 13

Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I felt upset about this whole situation.

I used a Turtle Beach Micro USB adapter for my laptop.

It made them EXTREMELY loud but I stopped the music two minutes later. The IEM's still sound good..... My ears hurt a bit though.
Quote:
Ok? Thank you? Erm... I didn't say I needed any help, since you were the one asking for help. I will admit that my knowledge is limited, and that I might be wrong, so, even if you're not helping me, should you be helping others to help you by at least telling us what amplifier you're using, so at least other people would have some idea as to what's going on.

If you don't enjoy what I have said, then fair and well, after this post I'll stop commenting on this thread, but at least I, myself, don't think I've been extremely unreasonable. If you found my posts absolutely disgusting, then I apologise for my responses.

And if you'll excuse me, I'll just go into a hole and cry now

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #11 of 13
Umm? What amp do you have? Does it have gain settings? if so use a gain setting of 1,2, or 0. By your post history you are using an iphone. Are you using line-out, or the headphone jack?

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 13
Well, I do understand why you might be upset now, and I think I actually know exactly what you're talking about. Basically, the headphone jack on your laptop only outputs enough power for earphones, but however the turtle beach micro uses the USB port, and since it doesn't have volume control on itself, what I think is happening is that it thinks you're outputting to speakers, so it's actually outputting the amount of power you need for speakers to your earphones, which probably have a low impendance. This in the end would mean that even when you're using the lowest volume possible, it would still sound really, really loud.

What I think you can try is to see if there's any drivers for the the USB from their official website. But the only other way I can see is to turn the volume down on everything. You can try and see if you can change the sound settings on the control panel as well.

I hope this helps, and I definitely see why you might be annoyed at my first post now

By the way: I've just flicked through the Turtle Beach screens they've got for the Micro online, have you installed the software and tried the headphone settings on it? Or is that still really loud?

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #13 of 13
Woops, kind of reviving a dead thread, but jiamenguk was right. Installing the driver from the website decreased the volume.

Initially I was using the default auto-installed driver that Windows found. Using my ATH-M50's, I had the system volume at 1 and my mediaplayers volume at 15%!

Now with the driver from their website I have my media player at 100% and the system volume at 6 for a comfortable listening volume.

Quote:
Well, I do understand why you might be upset now, and I think I actually know exactly what you're talking about. Basically, the headphone jack on your laptop only outputs enough power for earphones, but however the turtle beach micro uses the USB port, and since it doesn't have volume control on itself, what I think is happening is that it thinks you're outputting to speakers, so it's actually outputting the amount of power you need for speakers to your earphones, which probably have a low impendance. This in the end would mean that even when you're using the lowest volume possible, it would still sound really, really loud.

What I think you can try is to see if there's any drivers for the the USB from their official website. But the only other way I can see is to turn the volume down on everything. You can try and see if you can change the sound settings on the control panel as well.

I hope this helps, and I definitely see why you might be annoyed at my first post now

By the way: I've just flicked through the Turtle Beach screens they've got for the Micro online, have you installed the software and tried the headphone settings on it? Or is that still really loud?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back