AMP >= Pheonix
Jan 4, 2010 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

dukja

500+ Head-Fier
I have owned Audio-GD Phoenix for a while and am still constantly amazed by its sound. Highly transparent, clear, 3D-like soundstage, refined and balanced sound, and sharp and yet smooth image without any hint of being aggressive.

As much I highly enjoy it, I am looking for a similar or better amp for 2nd system. Fully balanced amp (with balanced input and balanced output) would be preferred. My phones will be DT880/600 and maybe T1 in the future. Some great amps known to me are beta22 and WA22, but they are priced more than what I like to spend for this hobbit (<$1200). And I always tried to get used ones.

Sonett is also a great candidate, but it only takes RCA input (and 1 input pair only). Donald does explain why he choose to do so. However, it seems that I'll loose some benefit on the DAC side (may not be fully balanced or less power)

Audio-GD ROC will be another possibility, but I have not seen much review on it and don't know how much I will lose from Phoenix. I really like its SE/balanced output and smaller form factor. (Kingwa has explained the difference
'Phoenix just a little better than ROC at high/low extend and a little exquisite.'
, but it is still a little vague to me)

I guess my choices will be limited by the balanced connection. Just a thought, if I open to SE AMP, what would be good candidate to compete with Phoenix?

(Recommendation based on real listening experience would be greatly appreciated!)

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 19
I don't think you will find something better or similar under the 1500 price tag.
Phoenix like most of Audio-GD gear has the lowest price/performance ratio IMO.

If you're looking only for a headphone amplifier that performs better than the Phoenix, I'd get a fully pimped up beta22 like the one PJ's getting.

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 19
That is exactly what I am afraid to hear
frown.gif
. (and probably very true indeed).

Still looking for more data points.
wink_face.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 19
my main rig is a phoenix too and i have spent some serious hours with other amps in a local meet, i have listened to dna scott as well but due to poor set up the volumn was never able to bring up to an acceptable level that i could make a clear judgement,
u may refer to this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/b...6/index14.html
though my main can is a balanced hd800, i hope this would help you narrow down your choices

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 19
how about the Little Dot MK VI? I haven't heard it / don't know how beyer's react with tubes but it should be different enough from your main set up and it's a bit cheaper than the phoenix or other balanced amps.

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lovefancy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my main rig is a phoenix too and i have spent some serious hours with other amps in a local meet, i have listened to dna scott as well but due to poor set up the volumn was never able to bring up to an acceptable level that i could make a clear judgement,
u may refer to this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/b...6/index14.html
though my main can is a balanced hd800, i hope this would help you narrow down your choices

I guess you meant "Sonett" (not scott).

It certainly makes me want for those amp "giants" after reading you post. But when I get to my sense
biggrin.gif
, I am happy with what Phoenix can bring with fraction of cost.

Thanks though.

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about the Little Dot MK VI? I haven't heard it / don't know how beyer's react with tubes but it should be different enough from your main set up and it's a bit cheaper than the phoenix or other balanced amps.

Yes, I have heard some good word about LD balanced DAC / AMP combo. Need some more reading.

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 19
Phoenix surpasses Phonitor by a considerable margin from what I read on the forums.

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 19
If you built your own balanced EHHA or beta-22 you could come in under $1500, but DIY is probably the only way to meet your criteria. I mean, if you want an amp better or as good as a $1200, you'll probably have to spend at least that much or lots more.

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you will find something better or similar under the 1500 price tag.
Phoenix like most of Audio-GD gear has the lowest price/performance ratio IMO.

Agreed. For the price you won't find an amp that rivals the Phoenix. You'd have to spend at least $2300 to get a single chassis 4-channel Beta22 from YBM labs, and that's for a basic Beta22 but it would surpass the Phoenix.

And the Phoenix outperforms the Phonitor for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking only for a headphone amplifier that performs better than the Phoenix, I'd get a fully pimped up beta22 like the one PJ's getting.

That would be way out of his price range. I'm still trying to get funds together to finish mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. For the price you won't find an amp that rivals the Phoenix. You'd have to spend at least $2300 to get a single chassis 4-channel Beta22 from YBM labs, and that's for a basic Beta22 but it would surpass the Phoenix.

This is probably the most efficient way to go. The worst case would be doing the DIY. It shouldn't be too hard for an EE majored guy in theory, right?
biggrin.gif
Time is just too precious and short for me.
frown.gif

Quote:

And the Phoenix outperforms the Phonitor for sure.

Thanks, PJ. I know you have both and thank you for your feedback. I did wonder who these two compare. Just after listening to a balanced phones, I am not tied to balanced setup.
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #13 of 19
Any Sonett users kind enough to pitch in? Thanks!

Bear with my ignorance on the DAC. For a DAC like DLIII, will the RCA output be non-balanced (since lower output voltage) and inferior to XLR output? This would be bad for Sonett.

Thanks for some education.

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Agreed. For the price you won't find an amp that rivals the Phoenix.

Sorry I dont have too much experience with dacs and amps like you but I am interested what amps did you hear? There is many good amps which are unknown to headfi and are for normal money. I dont think you heard everything so be careful with it. Audio-gd is not only one company who keep lower prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back