Amp Pairing for CypherLabs AlgoRythm Solo dB (for bass control)
Jul 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Iron Lung

New Head-Fier
Hello,

After reading as much as I could around Head-Fi and the net to put together my first proper DAC and Amp set-up (currently using the Fostex HP-P1 and sometimes my Fiio E11 for 'proper portable and fun listening sessions'), I've decided to purchase a CypherLabs AlgoRythm Solo dB (haven't finalized that purchase yet) and am now looking for an amp to pair it with.  Specifically, an amp with a bass knob/dial to be able to adjust the bass on the fly.  'Portability' is preferred and price isn't as much an issue as longevity is for this set up (something I can use with a wide range of headphones and speakers for a while without feeling the need to upgrade again anytime soon).

The primary sources will be my iPhone and my PC > DAC (CLAS) > Amp (with preamp possibly if integrated in the amp or as a future upgrade) > a variety of headphones (Denon D5000/7000, BeyerDynamic DT770s, Ultrasone Pro900, Audio Technica Pro700Mk2/M50, MAudio Q40, Fostex T50RP which I'll probably mod soon plus a few others) and my desktop speakers (only have some cheap Logitechs for the moment and looking at Audioengines, Emotivas, Salks and others for the moment, saving up for those purchases in the future).

The set-up would be primarily a 'home rig' for the speakers connected to the PC, and then ideally just the DAC and amp 'unplugged' for basic 'portability' around the house with the headphones or for long travels (not proper portability and active carrying around).

The amps I was looking at so far are:

Digizoid ZO 2 (read somewhere the ZO 3s coming out btw)
ALO Audio Rx MkII
GoVibe Magnum
GoVibe Vulcan+
Triad Audio Lisa III

An amp with bass presets could be okay, but I'd rather not compromise on the knob/dial since I'll personally always prefer the freedom of a knob/dial on the bass over a switch.

I am also open to a DIY solution for an amp (not keen on doing it, not afraid of doing it if it's worth it and have absolutely no idea how to go about it but kinda understand the basics).

I listen to a lot of Rap, Hip Hop, RnB, Drum n Bass, Grime and Garage (and occasionally jazz) and am a basshead through and through 
L3000.gif
.  From what I'm reading around, the ALO doesn't crank up the bass to satisfying levels and I can't seem to picture clearly how the others would fare connected from the CLAS to an output.

I will probably purchase a set of desktop/bookshelf speakers next (aiming for bass and space 'bang for buck' since I do not have too much room to play with around my PC) or perhaps even two satellites and a sub, and much later am looking to acquire a pair of Audezes or HifiMans, and maybe even the legendary Stax SR 009 (if they're still about when I can finally afford them after all this, but I think I'll need to upgrade further at that point).

So I'm looking for an amp to accompany me (and my CLAS when/if I pull the trigger on it) on this trip back down audiophiling on my headphones (and future speakers) for as long as possible before needing an upgrade.

If anyone has paired the CLAS with anything I mentioned or something similar already, I'd love to hear from you.

I am open to any/all suggestions and advice on the amp (and even the desktop/bookshelf speakers or anything else I mentioned... Maybe even changing the CLAS), and please bare in mind this is not only my first post of Head-Fi, but on a forum in general (last time I posted something was MSN Chatrooms decades ago lol) so if my forum 'etiquette' is rusty, my bad, just getting back into this.

Cheers in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back