AMP or Soundcard upgrade?
Nov 17, 2013 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SeoTFSI

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, from a few days i have a wonderful pair of Sennheiser Momentum. But also with only 18Ohm, my M-Audio 410 can't handle the heaphone (the regulator is always on max power and i don't like this)..

The possible solution, for me, are 2:

-Buy a normal headphone amplifier.. On all there is the Lovely Cube premium for good rapport p/q.. but this is a choise to see later...

-Upgrade my 410 firewire with the Essence One. In doing so, i should have more generally sound quality and a boost on the headphone output..

the second solution for me is the best, also for the limited space that i have. But i'm not sure that the Asus has more power of M-Audio (i think yes, but I have not tried the Essence One)

For you, what is the ideal  solution?

thank to all :)

(sorry for my english :D)

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 8
There's a lot going on inside your computer. This can add noise or distortion to an unshielded amplifier . I know with my video card getting up to 100 degrees C, tons if fans and dust, and all kinds of moving parts happening inside my computer I wouldnt want an amp it DAc in there. Plus a stand alone will last you longer, computers may not always have a comparable PCI slot.

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 8
ok but... I i didn't speak about to put components inside the pc XD

in past i had a pci soundcard e it created noise pollution and in fact, i switched to M-Audio Firewire

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #4 of 8
  ok but... I i didn't speak about to put components inside the pc XD

in past i had a PCI sound card e it created noise pollution and in fact, i switched to M-Audio Firewire

As your Sennheiser Momentum's are only 18-Ohm and internal sound would not be recommended.
An external headphone amplifier with a low impedance would be best for driving the headphones.
Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99. Headphone impedance is less then 1-Ohm :)

I believe you would need a cable with dual 1/4" TS (mono) to RCA, to connect the M-Audio to the Magni.
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-CPR201-Dual-Inch/dp/B000068O16

It's the same cable I use to connect my external DAC to desktop speakers.

Or just replace the M-Audio 410 with a Magni/Modi stack.

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 8
  As your Sennheiser Momentum's are only 18-Ohm and internal sound would not be recommended.
An external headphone amplifier with a low impedance would be best for driving the headphones.
Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99. Headphone impedance is less then 1-Ohm :)

I believe you would need a cable with dual 1/4" TS (mono) to RCA, to connect the M-Audio to the Magni.
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-CPR201-Dual-Inch/dp/B000068O16

It's the same cable I use to connect my external DAC to desktop speakers.

Or just replace the M-Audio 410 with a Magni/Modi stack.

thank you for the answer :). Yes, i would need that cable..

But
Now I have in mind to change the M-Audio, for a quality upgrade..

If convenient, maybe buy a DAC and an AMP.. or a DAC/AMP.. but on a over level respect at my 410

if is possible with my budget, obviously (400-450€ (500-550$))

thaks

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 8
  Thank you for the answer :). Yes, i would need that cable..
But, now I have in mind to change the M-Audio, for a quality upgrade..
If convenient, maybe buy a DAC and an AMP.. or a DAC/AMP.. but on a over level respect at my 410
if is possible with my budget, obviously (400-450€ (500-550$))

Audio-GD NFB-15.32 ($255+shipping) or NFB-11.32 ($340+shipping) external DAC/Amp.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Products-EN.htm

I've been using the 15.32 model for the past three weeks, no regrets.

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #8 of 8
Today i will go to try a Musical Fidelity M1HPAP.

Do you know this product?

sure has a USB 2 input, but i don't know if has also a dac..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back