Amp or Not
Feb 3, 2011 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

wildcatman

New Head-Fier
I have a new pair of m-50's that I use with an ipod classic. The m50's sound ok without an amp. I think I might like

to get one.  I can spend about $100-125.Thanks for any input.

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 15
M50's are one of the few good cans around that DO NOT explicitly require an amp to sound great. You would be better off saving the money towards an eventual purchase of more headphones! :D

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 15
iBasso T3, Fiio E7, Nuforce Icon Mobile and Mini 3.

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
M50's are one of the few good cans around that DO NOT explicitly require an amp to sound great. You would be better off saving the money towards an eventual purchase of more headphones! :D

Quote:
M50's really benefit from an amp. I found my iPod touch couldn't drive the 50's to sufficient volume levels on some of my lower quality compressed files.

I love it when Head-Fi is decisive.
tongue.gif

To OP:
If you do definitely want an amp, it might be worth waiting until March for the new FiiO E11 to come out. It's going to be less than $60 and will probably be a very fine portable amp, if FiiO's track record is anything to go by. It's also using the AD8397, the same chip used in the acclaimed (and $300) Headstage Arrow. It won't have the DAC section of the E7 but will be slimmer and will have a probably much better amp section. Just a consideration.

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #9 of 15
That Fiio11 is going to be siiickk. For under 60$? jeez, PA2v2 is fantastic.

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Quote:

Didn't know there was such a thing
biggrin.gif

True... :) But it's not very good for your ears, if you want to keep being able to hear those details and such in your music, I'd say it's worth a drop in volume now.

Oh believe me- I'm an old fart, I dont listen at ear-splitting volume levels.  My point really was some of my lower signal level mp3s only played at moderate levels even at full volume on my touch.  I do believe that to push the m50's dynamics capabilities and bass extension an amp couldn't hurt. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #12 of 15
The amp makes a big difference for me.

Feb 6, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:

I do believe that to push the m50's dynamics capabilities and bass extension an amp couldn't hurt. 

I believe that too.

...and how do we know he's listening too loud??? have you paid him a visit with your SPL meter??? HUH?

Some of my mp3 files are at a much lower level than others and require me to crank the volume much higher...but what if that needed power isn't there from the amp inside the DAP? What then Mr. Smarty Pants?
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #14 of 15
It's also worth noting that pre-loudness war recordings are generally quite a bit quieter than modern ones. If you listen to lots of older stuff you may find that you hit full volume more often than you'd like. Comparing Dire Straits from 1982 and ~2000, the same original recordings have become a lot louder.

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #15 of 15

I guess at the end of the day if the volume levels you are reaching sans amp are sufficient then you don't need one. Or as has already been mentioned try an inexpensive amp and see how you like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back