amp or dac for multiple sources?
Feb 3, 2007 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

stevodotorg

100+ Head-Fier
I know it has been asked before, and I asked but did not receive the answer I was looking for so..

Surely there is an amp or even dac that can take sound from 3 different sources (preferably a digital, optical, and an rca), to be used on headphones and speakers without spending a ridiculous sum of money?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 7
LOL...

Its called a pre-amplifier.

Cheap, no.

Feb 5, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevodotorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know it has been asked before, and I asked but did not receive the answer I was looking for so..

Surely there is an amp or even dac that can take sound from 3 different sources (preferably a digital, optical, and an rca), to be used on headphones and speakers without spending a ridiculous sum of money?
smily_headphones1.gif

You can use a normal pre-amp or passive pre-amp if your headphone amp don't have multi-input.

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 7
How about a little more info?

What is a reasonable budget?
What sources?
What phones?
Do you have a headphone amp?

And the big question comes in where speakers are concerned.
First of all, what speakers? What is the RMS power rating? Sensitivity (this can be a useless spec)? And what is their impedance?

You have a ton of options but there is no simple answer, especially when you're talking about a small budget.

But it can be done... help us help you.

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:21 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a little more info?

What is a reasonable budget?
What sources?
What phones?
Do you have a headphone amp?

And the big question comes in where speakers are concerned.
First of all, what speakers? What is the RMS power rating? Sensitivity (this can be a useless spec)? And what is their impedance?

You have a ton of options but there is no simple answer, especially when you're talking about a small budget.

But it can be done... help us help you.

I take it back, sorry, I do need a pre-amp.

Budget: Eh, around $500? at least not for a couple months. We'll see.. but if I am not mistaken, preamps are a buttload of $$.. at least for mics they are, and that is just single channel

Sources:
Optical or RCA (xbox 360)
Digital or .3mm (X-fi card)
x2 L/R 1/4" (usb audio interface for recording, I am a musician, it's for playback)

Phones:
Haven't bought them yet, probably going with AKG K601's

Headphone amp:
LDM+ (portability)
Probably going to buy something else here sooner or later

Speakers:
Nothing yet, selling old ones, But I am looking into Klipsch, we will see.

Anyway, it would be nice if I could get all of these connected to a pre amp, then to an amp, and then to headphones and speakers.. I think I got that right?

Thanks for taking the time to understand me Gonz, I really do appreciate it
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevodotorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Why don't you look at the HeadRoom Desktop Line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back