Amp or Amp+DAC?
Mar 6, 2012 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Brimstone

100+ Head-Fier
I know this topic comes up about every fourth thread, but I am going to post this anyway.

I am looking for some advice on purchasing a DAC.  I have been debating with myself on several options and every time I think I have made a decision I end up changing my mind.  I primarily listen to music on a 7th gen ipod 160gb with M-Audio Q40s or Etymotic ER-4p.  I also would like to listen on my Dell laptop but it is just horrid.  Having said that, I think a portable DAC+Amp is in order.

Here is what I have been considering:

Fiio E7
Ibasso D-Zero
Digizoid ZO2 (concerned that bass may be too much)

My musical tastes are varied and can include opera, classical, country, rap, classic rock, folk, etc.  Almost all of my music is Apple Lossless or FLAC.

I am leaning towards the D-Zero, but I am not sure what the wait time is from China so I might be inclined to look for one here or on eBay.

Any suggestions from the three I listed or another route?  I am looking to try and stay under $120 (US).

*edit: sorry, just noticed the title.  That is what happens when you start a thread and then go back and rewrite the whole thing later.*

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
I know this topic comes up about every fourth thread, but I am going to post this anyway.
I am looking for some advice on purchasing a DAC.  I have been debating with myself on several options and every time I think I have made a decision I end up changing my mind.  I primarily listen to music on a 7th gen ipod 160gb with M-Audio Q40s or Etymotic ER-4p.  I also would like to listen on my Dell laptop but it is just horrid.  Having said that, I think a portable DAC+Amp is in order.
Here is what I have been considering:
Fiio E7
Ibasso D-Zero
Digizoid ZO2 (concerned that bass may be too much)
My musical tastes are varied and can include opera, classical, country, rap, classic rock, folk, etc.  Almost all of my music is Apple Lossless or FLAC.
I am leaning towards the D-Zero, but I am not sure what the wait time is from China so I might be inclined to look for one here or on eBay.
Any suggestions from the three I listed or another route?  I am looking to try and stay under $120 (US).
*edit: sorry, just noticed the title.  That is what happens when you start a thread and then go back and rewrite the whole thing later.*

Are you looking for an DAC/Amp for use with the iPod and laptop or just for the laptop.
Because it's around $500 for a external DAC that can work with the iPod.

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 7
The DAC is just for the laptop, but I will be using the amp with the iPod as well. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 7
Not much response here.  I went ahead and went with the Fiio E7.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Let us know how you like the E7

It was really a toss-up for me on the E7 versus the Ibasso.  There was an Ibasso on the forum for sale, but someone just barely beat me to it.  If not for that, I would have gotten the Ibasso.  Since I missed out on that I went for the E7 via NDA from Amazon.  I should have it tomorrow.  

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Let us know how you like the E7

The E7 arrived today and it has been fantastic.  It is a substantial improvement over my Dell's awful sound card.  

I haven't spent much time with it paired to my ipod, but I did take a minute to listen to a couple of songs and it definitely added some power and improved clarity.  I am not sure how much of the difference in sound quality is coming from the amp and how much is coming from the switch from the ipod headphone out to the LOD.  There was definitely an increase in both power and clarity, so I am happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back