Amp or Amp/DAC for Beyerdynamic DT880?
Jun 21, 2016 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Vulpes

New Head-Fier
Just bought a DT880 Premium (250 ohms) a few days ago; currently have a Fiio E07K, wondering if it has sufficient power/performance to drive this headphone to its optimum. If not, any recommendations for a good DAC+AMP/DAC that are priced below $150? I like the DT880's neutral sound signature but I do find the treble a bit harsh (especially on newer recordings) at times. Thanks.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 5
  Just bought a DT880 Premium (250 ohms) a few days ago; currently have a Fiio E07K, wondering if it has sufficient power/performance to drive this headphone to its optimum. If not, any recommendations for a good DAC+AMP/DAC that are priced below $150? I like the DT880's neutral sound signature but I do find the treble a bit harsh (especially on newer recordings) at times. Thanks.

E07K drives the DT880 250 just ok in my book.
It would be great if you can find a FiiO L7. It allows you to use the E07K as a dedicated DAC to feed a separate amplifier.
Schiit Magni 2 would work better than the amplifier on E07K.

DT880 is a pretty unforgiving headphone, feed it with top class recordings and it will shine.
Feed it with less than perfect recordings and it will expose each and every flaw.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for your reply, Me X3. I do have another question though: would the Fiio E10K do a better job than the E07K for critical listening? I sometimes find the sound from the E07k to be a bit too warm and veiled for such purpose when using it as a DAC+AMP. I tend to lean towards a sound signature that has more clarity and airiness when listening to music in a critical manner. 

Yeap, the DT880 is indeed a very unforgiving headphone, it seems to nitpick on every single detail (and flaw) present in a recording (which is part of its charm). The properly remastered recordings that I have (Billy Joel, Simon and Garfunkel, ABBA, Queens) really shine on this can, but poorly engineered recordings can be very fatiguing (and ear-piercing) to listen to (especially for extended periods of time),

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 5
  Thanks for your reply, Me X3. I do have another question though: would the Fiio E10K do a better job than the E07K for critical listening? I sometimes find the sound from the E07k to be a bit too warm and veiled for such purpose when using it as a DAC+AMP. I tend to lean towards a sound signature that has more clarity and airiness when listening to music in a critical manner. 

Yeap, the DT880 is indeed a very unforgiving headphone, it seems to nitpick on every single detail (and flaw) present in a recording (which is part of its charm). The properly remastered recordings that I have (Billy Joel, Simon and Garfunkel, ABBA, Queens) really shine on this can, but poorly engineered recordings can be very fatiguing (and ear-piercing) to listen to (especially for extended periods of time),

Yes, E10K is clearer than E07K.
Even the older E10 was clearer than E07K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back