Amp or 0404?
Sep 29, 2007 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jaredy

New Head-Fier
Hello super awesome people of head-fi. This is sort of a computer as source/amp question but I hope you wont mind the cross of topics in helping me consider my next purchase.

I currently have an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 in my desktop and I use HD595s. I don't have an amp at the moment but would definitely like to open these cans up some more.

Im at a cross road in that perhaps i want a new source too. The Emu 0404 USB is well liked as a dac an an okay headphone amp for lower ohm applications (which the 595 would fit into).

But what I would like to know is what is worth it more? Do i need an external/new dac? The audiophile is fairly smooth and not exactly super analytical. But would just getting a starter amp be better for the cost rather than the 0404 USB?

My budget for an amp would be basically the cost of a 0404, which is basically $200. So by no means a high-end application. The Little Dots looks nice but I think I'd prefer NOT to have tubes as I think they wouldn't be too safe on my desk and in moving them around (as I am at school).

I'd really appreciate any recommendations for my situation. Thank you.

Sep 29, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 5
0404 usb.. they have the built in amp too and theyre not bad.

Sep 29, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 5
Yes, it seems very nice. So you think having a new DAC along with the amp (great for the price) would be more beneficial than just an amp for about $200? I certainly wouldn't mind having some new sound (a new dac) as opposed to my Audiophile 24/96.

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 5
The amp in the 0404 is not the greatest but it's a great and flexible addition that you can easily build on later.

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 5
i would just get new headphones, the 595s are running at their potential thru most headphone jacks.

if you step up to 580s and up, thats where amplification becomes necessary, but id keep it as simple as i could normally

Users who are viewing this thread

Back