Amp noob needs help
Apr 10, 2007 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rwest1389

500+ Head-Fier
My friend recently got dt880s and loves the detail and soundstage. Right now hes running it out of an old speaker receiver out of his standard soundcard.

He is willing to spend up to 300 dollars, but preferable less. Are there any dac/amp combos that would power the dt880s well? He would really like the amp to add bass if possible. Is it better to just spend the money on a good amp? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Apr 10, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 5
Any ideas? Should this be in the computer-as-a-source forum? thanks

Apr 10, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 5
It's been widely reported that the DT880 loves tube amps like the Millett Hybrid. Unfortunately, those are hard to come by nowadays. Other tube options, like the Darkvoice amps, are also supposed to mate well with the Beyers.

Another option to consider is to get a solid state amp that supports bass boost, such as the M^3 or PPA.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 5
Unless I'm mistaken, these are DIY amps? How hard is it to make if you get a kit?

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest1389 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless I'm mistaken, these are DIY amps? How hard is it to make if you get a kit?

they are not hard to make, but you can also buy them from somebody in the "for sale" forums from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back