Amp in the UK for Sennheiser HD570s
May 30, 2004 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

antony_s

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but have been looking for a good headphone amp for my Sennheiser HD570 headphones for quite some time now. Whilst having owned the headphones for over 4 years now, they're still superb and I want to upgrade my hifi equipment soon to (hopefully) a Cyrus CD8 CD player...but will primarily be listening through headphones.

I've been looking at both Musical Fidelity XCans v.3 and the Creek headphone amp, but are there any others that might be more suitable?

Any suggestions would be greatfully received!

Cheers

May 30, 2004 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 10
The 570s are good, but take quite a bit of driving (having read other posts in the forum), and they are renowned for needing good bass from the source. Those amps look cool...I also heard that the Musical Fidelity XCans V.3 works well with Sennheisers - any thoughts?

May 30, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 10
Hi there.
In the UK the chioce is limited for ready made amps. Should you consider to go for a DIY amp, then the choice broadens.

You'll find plenty of good posts about the "Chiarra" which is available as a DIY kit, and for a fee you can get it built. I recall seing one for sale here in the forum (UK) for £320.

Other than that you can resort to meier-audio (www.meier-audio.de) or UK brands Rega and Naim.

May 30, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 10
the Cyrus will destroy the V3 or Creek, it's just in another class altogether. You can get amps shipped from the States, but you'll likely be charged import tax, so the best option is probably a Meier Corda of some description, they offer good value for money and sound excellent. Or someone in the UK would build a Chiarra or PPA for you no doubt

The other option is the Graham Slee Solo amp

g

May 30, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 10
I respect your opinion, but IMHO the 570's are not very good, in fact I believe you are the first person to express positive opinions of the 570. I had them for a while, but that shrill treble was killing my ears, regardless of source. What I suggest you do is find an amp that will tame that unnatural treble. Furthermore, the bass can sometimes be overwhelming and very sloppy if you do not use a dedicated amp. Don't think the Corda would be a good choice, instead I would suggest a tube amp. Since the number of dedicated tube based headphone amps are very limited in the UK, you'll have to look towards the US market.

May 31, 2004 at 11:03 AM Post #7 of 10
Hi Antony,

This is the amp you need,

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73917

Contact PinkFloyd direct he is a decent guy & it's exactly the same amp as I use & without question it will out perform most commercially built UK amps. OK the case may not look too impressive but if it's music you want........ You know the old saying about judging books by covers.

Best wishes,

Nigel

May 31, 2004 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 10
Cheers for all your opinions. The Chiarra seems to be winning - at that price on eBay it seems an excellent choice! Shame about the case...I guess that's what you get with DIY kits. Perhaps some of us should put a few ideas together for a real neat Chiarra enclosure?

Having read through the components list it definitely looks like it'll sound great - so I'll keep an eye on it, or like you mention - contact PinkFloyd direct.

Cheers again,

Antony

May 31, 2004 at 11:38 AM Post #9 of 10
Yes, your best contacting PinkFloyd direct. If you have not done so, a Head-Fi search on Chiarra & Chiara will tell you all you need to know. Personally, I like the case. It stinks of giant killer!

Read Wordsworth's post regarding the recent London meet as well.

Best,

Nigel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back