Amp in combination with 0404 USB as DAC?
Aug 21, 2009 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

_jon

New Head-Fier
Hey, newbie here..

Recently acquired a E-MU 0404 USB. I originally intended to use it as an entry-level DAC/amp for listening on my Alessandro MS-1's, UE Super.fi 5 pro's and my German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitors (on the way from Germany!).

While I like the E-MU's recording functions, I'm just not impressed with its built-in headphone amp. I'm no analysis expert, but I would have to describe it as harsh and missing detail. Definitely not pleasing to the ear. It also seems to be missing some highs. Frankly, my IEMs sound better just listening to an ipod touch.

So here's my question -

Can someone suggest a decent entry-level headphone amp to be used in conjunction with the 0404? Anyone have a similar experience where they augmented their 0404 DAC with another amp that they're satisfied with?

Basically I would just use the 0404 for its recording capabilities and its DAC functionality (which is apparently quite good) and then a separate dedicated amp to power my headphones. Ideally it would be somewhere in the $150-200 range.

Side note: my MS-1's only work through one ear now. I don't know if the problem is the driver, or an internal connection, or what. Can I just take them to an electronics shop or a music shop for repair?

Thanks for all your help!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 4
So you think I should just ditch the 0404's DAC too?

Aug 22, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 4
I am sorry to hear that you are having sound quality issues. From what I understand the DAC on the E-MU is first rate. There are those on these forums who dismiss the headphone amp and recommend using the line-outs to go to a dedicated headphone amp.

All of my cans are low impedance and the 0404usb is usually set right at about the 9:00 setting on the volume dial. It has never sounded "harsh and missing detail" as you describe yours. Could you have problems with your unit, or perhaps it is revealing flaws in your source? I have switched over to FLAC recordings because of how apparent flaws in mp3 files are using this setup.

The sound quality I get with my Denon ah-d5000's using the E-MU is simply amazing in the sound stage, instrument separation, detail and overall sound quality. No trace of brightness as somebody on these forums claimed about the 0404 usb's headphone amp. However I am still shopping for an external amp to use instead (but plan to still use the emu's DAC). Maybe the Denons could be held back a bit by the built in amp; perhaps they need more instantaneous power available for impact when called for in the music (I plan to find out for myself by getting a good tube amp for comparison... and just because I would like to delve into the whole tube amp sound aspect of the hobby).

In another thread a fellow E-MU 0404 usb owner had purchased a little dot I+ and reported back that he really couldn't tell that it made any difference at all; so with that in mind, and my own experience, I am a bit skeptical when I read a few opinions on these forums that the E-MU's built in amp is low quality. However I did have to send mine in for warranty work because the mic inputs were faulty... but E-MU sent me a brand new unit which was nice.

Hope that helps.

edit: here are a couple of quotes from the very thorough review done by ixbtlabs.com

"top-end AKM's DAC"

"High-quality headphone amplifier"

"The 0404 USB amplifier did perfectly well with both high-Ohm Sennheiser HD580 and budget low-Ohm AKG K44."

"High-quality low-noise pre-amplifiers with soft limiter"

"According to our test results, E-MU 0404 USB gets the "Original Design" award for a technological breakthrough in the field of external USB interfaces."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back