Amp, HP, cd and HP amp- connecting
Jan 4, 2003 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TKSingh

Head-Fier
Hello,
quick question on hooking it all up.

Wheatfield HA-1 and an integrated tube amp, and a CDP.
Now the CDP only has one pair of rca line outs and the amp has no tape loop. Could I place the Wheatfield between the amp and CDP and use it as a pre-amp, and therefore get my HP jack out and still have the CDP get to my integrated amp and to my speakers when I want to listen?

Hope this makes some sense. If I do this it introduces the Wheatfield as another point between the signal when listening to the speakers. Thoughts?

Ken

Jan 4, 2003 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 6
I know it is probably a stupid simple question...but I am new to this give a guy a break, do I use the Wheatfield as a preamp like this, how does it affect the volume controls, does it act as a passive etc...

Ken

Jan 4, 2003 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 6
Simple solution is to get two RCA splitters (one male to two females) ands insert into CDP jacks. That way, your CDP will have two female jacks, on each channel. Connect one to your integrated amp, the other to your HP amp.
Not sure if it would be a problem having both amp and HP amp on at the same time, though. I only use one amp at a time. Works for me.
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2003 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by TKSingh
Thanks Joe,

Anyone know how to use the Wheatfield HA-1 as a pre? Benefits, thoughts?

Ken
redface.gif

Unless your amp has a way to separate the pre and power amp (switch, jumper, etc) I don't think you'll have much luck. But I'm not an electronics whiz, so I could be wrong.
frown.gif

Jan 7, 2003 at 11:05 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by TKSingh
Thanks Joe,

Anyone know how to use the Wheatfield HA-1 as a pre? Benefits, thoughts?

Ken
redface.gif

First of all, try looking into some Vampire RCA splitters sold at HeadRoom. Others have tried them and said they're incredible. They have one male RCA to hook-up to the CDP, and two famales to hook-up ICs to both your amp and headamp.

As to the pre amp and its benefits, jus thook it up and try it for yourself. You mighe be the first personto do this. Just make sure to start with the volume at its lowest setting! Then turn it up slowly and see if it affects the volume coming from your speakers. It may just be a feed thru, but who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back