Amp for Westone UM3X
Oct 25, 2009 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

vic225

Head-Fier
I'm using an Ipod Classic and I want to use the line out... which amp would you guys suggest to match the Ipod and the UM3X?
Also... if theres any USB DAC ones it would be great too... when I plug my UM3X to my macbook there's too much hiss from the machine...
Thanks!

Oct 25, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 9
I want to say this a bit tentatively, since I haven't logged a lot of hours. I use an iMod, and use a female iMod mini dock with a Pico. The combination isn't bad--far better than using the UM3X with my iPhone--but there is a fair amount of "bloom." I think the slightly musical / warm presentation of the headphones combined with the slightly musical / warm presentation of the Pico accounts for this.

If I'm feeling masochistic, I lug my Lisa III, the portable vCap dock, the iMod, and the headphones. Sonic heaven!

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 9
I have a RSA Shadow on the way for my UM3Xs. I'll post some impressions when it lands (hopefully in the next week).

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-fi Wigwammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a RSA Shadow on the way for my UM3Xs. I'll post some impressions when it lands (hopefully in the next week).

Oooo! Lookin forward to reading your impressions with that combo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by vic225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using an Ipod Classic and I want to use the line out... which amp would you guys suggest to match the Ipod and the UM3X?
Also... if theres any USB DAC ones it would be great too... when I plug my UM3X to my macbook there's too much hiss from the machine...
Thanks!

Both my Ibasso python/usb and meier move/usb sound very good with mu um3x.

I should be getting the Shadow this week so I'll throw in my 2cents worth as well.

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 9
how would Corda Move work?

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both my Ibasso python/usb and meier move/usb sound very good with mu um3x.

I should be getting the Shadow this week so I'll throw in my 2cents worth as well.

between the Python and the MOVE -- amp only -- which do you prefer?

i'm in the same boat as the OP, except i don't need the DAC. i'd really like something that opens up the treble and widens the soundstage while still adding some bass tightness. i'm getting that right now with a borrowed Xin Supermini, but i could see where there are some areas that might improve even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back