Amp for W5000 on a budget
Mar 30, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #17 of 31
Interseting feedback on the Corda amps + w5000 combos... I know that GarryH (or maybe it was someone else) loved the Opera with their w5000 or w1000... but that is in another price range.

Mar 31, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #18 of 31
I wasn't a very big fan of the Corda Aria with the W5000's. It sounded good but for some reason to me it didn't fit with the character of teh W5000's. The guy who bought my Aria auditioned the W5000 and he also didn't like the pairing of the W5000. I guess they are a bit picky, but that could also be more easily attributed to my source which is a laptop, and not as the Aria as an amp, rather as an amp/DAC combo.

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #20 of 31
Mar 31, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #22 of 31
Here's the link to the M³ web page set up by the amp's designers. It has everything you'd want to know about the amp, and then some.

The M³ is a DIY amp, so you either put it together yourself or hire a builder (see the web site).

Mar 31, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #23 of 31
Re: Yamamoto HA-02.

Short answer is its 975 which includes shipping. The wait time is 5-6 weeks.. maybe longer. I ordered mine almost 2 weeks ago the charge hasn't shown up on my card yet... and my one email asking for confirmation(Only one so far if my charge doesn't show up next week I'll try again) has gone unanswered ;p

Process is pretty chill. You email brian at venus hifi since its not listed on his page... and tell him you want to order one. He then has you call him... he didn't pick up for me but I left a # and he called me back within the day and order made.

Mar 31, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #25 of 31
re the Yamamoto and W5000, AFAIC the jury is still out on this combo.
I find the W5000 to be a very sensitive phone and maybe needs reasonably careful matching to get the best and seems to show up any deficencies in your source...in my case my cdp, much better with my vinyl setup.
At this point I prefer the W1000/Yamamoto combo. I know GarryH has the same setup but much better digital source than myself which may change his experience with the pairing.

I've been trying it with my Mapletree HD100 and find it responds well to tube rolling, at the moment running a Sylvania gold brand that's working well for me listening to some early Neil Young.

I hope to try some different 408A tubes shortly in the Yammy and see if that changes anything.

Mar 31, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #27 of 31
Bah tuatara :/ I wish I'd heard your opinion before I ordered mine! GarryH seemed to think w5000s/Yamamoto HA-02 is a good match so I ordered one based on that.. we'll have to see where I end up.

Mar 31, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bah tuatara :/ I wish I'd heard your opinion before I ordered mine! GarryH seemed to think w5000s/Yamamoto HA-02 is a good match so I ordered one based on that.. we'll have to see where I end up.

Dont panic, you could well end up loving the combo. I think the W5000 is quite revealing of source and if you like the AT already then you shouldn't have any problems matching it with the Yamamoto.

My problem lies entirely with the W5000, I love the Yammy/W1000/RS1 combos.

The only thing you can guarantee is that every single one of use will take away
a different impression of any headphone/amp combo in some way or another.

Apr 1, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #29 of 31
I've used ZhaoluD2C(DC cap bypass,LM4562x3)>Little Dot Micro Tube.
This combination has blackness background and wide sound stage.The sound is warm and detailed,very smooth.
Now ZhaoluD2.5C is $195 and Little Dot MT is $179,total $375+shipping fee.
How about this combo?

Apr 1, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here is another opinion I found concerning the W5000 and the Yamamoto HA-02 amp, I see that this is your actual original reference (edit):

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...openfrom&1&4#1

Here is the quote itself:

"02-04-07
Yes, the Yamamoto sounds as beautiful. Very light and airy sound. Wonderful definition and seemingly endless decay. Pairing this with my ATH-W1000's is sonic heaven minus the lowest bass. However, my new ATH-W5000's go a long way towards making up for that."

But as stated above everyone will hear something a little different having different preferences. Maybe if you don't like it you could start a loaner program.
wink.gif
The guy in the quote says that the amp seems to have almost endless decay. This may be an issue with the W5000 and its naturally beautiful decay or it could be something very special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back