amp for W11JPN & AD2000?
Feb 25, 2009 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dreamwhisper

1000+ Head-Fier
My dad has a Apogee minidac i can use when i'm out in his recording studio.
When I'm in my bedroom I only have a emu0404 and a cmoy, but I guess I can borrow the minidac too half the time. I wonder how they'll sound different...

I want something small enough to carry for the 2min walk out to the studio. I'd also like to spend less than $500, but I could be persuaded.
My friend just recently won an insurance settlement and told me I can borrow as much money as I want, which is why I just bought the AD2000 and W11 jpn.
I almost went for one of the L3000's on sale right now in the forums, but I didn't want that much money invested in a single headphone. I'd like the ability to have some diversity. Thats why I went with the ones that I did.

I have heard mixed things about the Gilmore Lite.. I'm a little confused.
I read that the GS-1 with DPS is hella with the AD2000 tho.

I'm also interested in hybrids like the Little Dot 1+ and the SOHAII.

any thoughts?

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 18
damn my Beta22 was super neutral. although I guess I don't know for sure, I only tried it out of the Lavry.

I know that the Lavry has been reccommended for ATH cans but I don't remember enjoying its synergy with my equipment before.
Maybe if it looked nicer I would like it by some placebo effect.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know about the W11JPN, but I certainly will not recommend tubes for the AD2000. It sounds the best on an amp that's as neutral as possible.

130% agreement. Also, it'll be best to have amps that has tons of output current.
And Gilmore lite drives the AD2000 very well, as I still love that combo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn my Beta22 seemed super neutral. although I guess I don't know for sure, I only tried it out of the Lavry.
I know that the Lavry has been reccommended for ATH cans but I just don't like the way it sounded with any of my gear.

Beta deuce deuce is indeed amazing with AD2K
biggrin.gif
. Did you have 2ch Beta?

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #6 of 18
Rednamalas1, I love my AD900s. But was thinking of adding a bit more laid back Open Air, and been looking at the DT880, HD650. I've always had the AD2000 as the ultimate Open Air for me, but each year, the price increases. I could have sworn I bought my AD900 for $219 from an authorized dealer and now the cheapest price I can find is $279. When I was looking, I remember seeing the AD2000 selling for high 500s at that time, and its not over $700, blargh!

Knowing that I love my AD900s, would you say its worth it for me to just save my money and get an AD2000 or should I go for the HD650 instead?

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 18
AD900 actually has wider soundstaging than AD2000. However, AD2000 has that DEEP growling bass which is extremely speedy and accurate, along with slightly more lush midrange and linear and unfatiguing highs. There's gobs more detail in AD2000 as well (I would say it has as much as DT880, if not more).
However, AD2000 is NOT any more laid back than AD900s, but very, very engaing pair of cans. They make you sing off-key with headphone on, along with air-guitar, air-conduct, or some variation of air-instrumenting. So, stay away from AD2Ks if you're looking for laid-back sound sig.

To show you the inflation on AD2000 in the used market, I first got a used pair of AD2000s in very mint condition for 240 + dinner from my friend around last march (I believe it was around 350$ for used pair) and Got my 2nd pair around last september for 400 shipped. Now I see them 500+ shipping, used.
I guess I gotta stop promoting AD2000s, since it seemed to drive the used price go up quite a bit.

For HD650, It's very difficult to say if you'll like them, coming from AD900s. I personally prefer HD600 for their natural presentation and less emphasis on the bass. They're slightly easier to drive as well (but still requires serious amplification). If you listen to rock, HD650 and HD600 aren't the most ideal cans (although some will disagree). I personally love HD600's presentation of piano - which is very hard to do from headphones.

feel free to send me a PM if you have any more questions - I'll be happy to answer them for you.

To OP: sorry for going off-topic.

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know about the W11JPN, but I certainly will not recommend tubes for the AD2000. It sounds the best on an amp that's as neutral as possible.

Isn't a statement like this assuming that all tube amps sound the same?
There are tube amps that are fairly neutral if that is what you are after, the WA6 being one that I am familiar with, and it sounds just as good as a GS-1 I abx it with, and that was with the stock Sovtek 5u4g rectifier.

Which amps did you try with your AD2000?

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #9 of 18
^^^
Concur with post above

I have heard the Woo WA6 with both the AD2000 and W11JPN and have to disagree with comments suggesting that tube amps would not be a good match. I have heard both 'phones with the Gilmore Lite with DPS and GS-1 too and would pick the WA6 in a heartbeat - whilst the Gilmore may be more neutral I highly prefered the Woo for its vivid, textured sound.

Yes, you get more euphonic and softer sounding tube amps like the ASL MG Head MkIII I also tried with those cans, over which I would prefer the neutrality and control of the GS-1. But, it all depends on the implementation and amplification in question.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #12 of 18
dont know where this "AD2K need solid state" garbage comes from :p

i've been far more impressed with my AD2K's out of my MKVI (ever since the driver tube update, that is) than from a 3-channel B22, though of course the balanced/unbalanced variance might have SOMETHING to do with it (though I doubt very much). granted this amp is surprisingly linear across the band, it still serves as a great reason why such generalizations should never be made

god i love these cans... im considering parting with all of my other 3

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #14 of 18
dreamwishper, I have the GS-1 with stepped attenuator and also have a Rudistor RPX-33 Mk II. Hands down the Rudistor IMO. The GS-1 is great but is a little bit cold and analytical when the Rudistor is totally musical. It is more expensive but you are getting a Class A dual mono discrete topology design.

I have the EWS10JPN and really like them hopefully in the near future I can find a nice pair of the W11JPN in the market.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back