amp for Von VR-1
Jun 16, 2007 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

joefosho315

100+ Head-Fier
I recently just picked up a pair of used Von Schweikert VR-1's in maple for use in a nearfield setup. The thing is, now I need a decent budget integrated amp to drive them properly. I'm driving them with a Pioneer A-35r that I used to use just fine with my old Energy C-3's, but they sound just too bright and fatiguing with the VR-1's. To add to the overall bright sound signature, there is just NO bass extension at all! I have read that these monitors can play down to 40Hz, but I doubt I am getting anywhere near that. I am just lacking any bass impact or depth. I suspect that there is just some poor system snergy going on. Since I just bought these speakers, I don't have a ton of money left for an amp, so I've been looking at the likes of a used NAD C320bee, Onix Sp3, Jolida 1501. Do any of you guys have suggestions on what budget integrated amp could drive the VR-1's decently, until I can upgrade to a nicer amp in a couple of years?

Jun 17, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a vintage Pioneer, Technics, or Marantz from the 70's?

I've heard many good things about the vintage units, particularly the vintage Marantz 22xx receivers, but I am somewhat wary about the reliability of such old components. I also would not want to deal with the hassle of having to restore any older components of a vintage receiver. I do hear that they do sound very good though!

Jun 17, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 10
If you find those speakers to be bright with the Pioneer A-35R, it's the speakers you don't like, not the amp. The A-35R is definitely on the darker side of neutral; even traditionally "warm sounding" amps like the older NAD amps are comparatively brighter. My advice is to try different speakers, because you're not going to find a much darker amp.

As for the bass extension issue, realize that the 40 Hz claim on the VR website includes 6dB of room gain. The actual -3dB point is probably around 60-65 Hz. There's only so much bass you can get from unported speakers with a conventional 6.5 inch woofer. (The little hole in the back of the VR-1s is not a reflex port.)

Jun 17, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you find those speakers to be bright with the Pioneer A-35R, it's the speakers you don't like, not the amp. The A-35R is definitely on the darker side of neutral; even traditionally "warm sounding" amps like the older NAD amps are comparatively brighter. My advice is to try different speakers, because you're not going to find a much darker amp.

As for the bass extension issue, realize that the 40 Hz claim on the VR website includes 6dB of room gain. The actual -3dB point is probably around 60-65 Hz. There's only so much bass you can get from unported speakers with a conventional 6.5 inch woofer. (The little hole in the back of the VR-1s is not a reflex port.)

Even though I do know that the Pioneer is actually a pretty warm sounding amp, I suspect that there is some very poor system snergy at work here. I just tried driving the VR-1's with a vintage Mitsubishi power/pre amp that really smoothened out the sound a ton. The sound was far more enjoyable. Regrettably, there is something wrong withe the Mitsubishi amp, as low bass notes will distort every once in a while. However, trying a different amp, I am convinced that these VR-1's are capable of quite good, non fatiguing sound. They just seem very amp dependent. I've heard that perhaps underpowering speakers tends to give them the type of shrillness that I have been hearing. Do you guys think that perhaps the Pioneer is just not giving the VR-1's enough juice, despite the VR-1's relatively modest power requirements?

Jun 17, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 10
The Von Schweikerts are very detailed speakers and have to be matched with good components.I am using an Odyssey Audio Khartago power Amp which is just on the warm side of neutral.Finding a good source is going to be the biggest problem for these speakers and the compact disc format itself is a bit too compromised.An SACD player or a good turntable may be the best way to go.

Jun 17, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Von Schweikerts are very detailed speakers and have to be matched with good components.I am using an Odyssey Audio Khartago power Amp which is just on the warm side of neutral.Finding a good source is going to be the biggest problem for these speakers and the compact disc format itself is a bit too compromised.An SACD player or a good turntable may be the best way to go.

Since I only have the funding for either an upgraded amp or upgraded source, which one would you recommend?

Jun 17, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by joefosho315 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I only have the funding for either an upgraded amp or upgraded source, which one would you recommend?

Welcome to High Fidelity.The Vr-1s are very good speakers and demand the best in components.Good sources are very expensive so I quess the best start would be to get a good Amp.The big question is,(are you commited to make these speakers work out for you?).They are truely excellent but it takes a lot of money to make your living room sound like a string quartet is actually playing in your living room and these speakers will actually do that.Thay are so good that they will make a poor source sound like crap.I am happy with my speakers but I placed enough good gear around them to make them produce music.

Jun 18, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to High Fidelity.The Vr-1s are very good speakers and demand the best in components.Good sources are very expensive so I quess the best start would be to get a good Amp.The big question is,(are you commited to make these speakers work out for you?).They are truely excellent but it takes a lot of money to make your living room sound like a string quartet is actually playing in your living room and these speakers will actually do that.Thay are so good that they will make a poor source sound like crap.I am happy with my speakers but I placed enough good gear around them to make them produce music.

I guess I do have to pay to play in the speaker world. In the interest of saving money, however, would using vintage gear be acceptable? A hi-fi store in the local area is selling a used NAD 3080 and a NAD 3020i. I've heard good things about both, particularly the NAD 3080, but should I be concerned with the reliability of an integrated amp that was made in the late 70's? Should I just skip the vintage stuff and invest in a current day integrated amp (NAD C320Bee)?

Jun 18, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by joefosho315 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I do have to pay to play in the speaker world. In the interest of saving money, however, would using vintage gear be acceptable? A hi-fi store in the local area is selling a used NAD 3080 and a NAD 3020i. I've heard good things about both, particularly the NAD 3080, but should I be concerned with the reliability of an integrated amp that was made in the late 70's? Should I just skip the vintage stuff and invest in a current day integrated amp (NAD C320Bee)?

You would be better off with a vintage NAD amp. The C320BEE is quite bright and bass shy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back