Amp for use with PS4 Pro and Mad Dog Headphones
Jan 24, 2019 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jordannn15

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, I am looking for amp recommendations for Mr Speakers Mad Dogs version 3.2 (the ones with alpha pads). I am going to be using them for gaming (ps4 pro) and music (macbook pro that I bought late last year). I play on a ps4 pro, so it needs to be able to work with that and be able to power the mad dogs sufficiently so they are loud enough and so the sound quality doesn't suffer. Not looking to spend a ton but don't want it to be bad quality either.

I have researched a bit and know these need a decent amount of power to sound like they should but all the threads I have found are older because these headphones have been around for a while so I just wanted to make sure I got up to date recommendations. I have never used an amp with my ps4 pro so if you could list cables I would need to hook it up that would be nice also. Thanks so much!

Jan 24, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 14
Do you want portable or desktop and also a budget in mind ?

Jan 24, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 14
Do you want portable or desktop and also a budget in mind ?

Desktop, I won't be taking these anywhere. Just listening to music at the house and using them for gaming on ps4 pro. As for budget, cheap as possible without giving up sound quality. Ideally like $150 or less but I will spend more if needed.

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #5 of 14
Monoprice Liquid Spark is another at $99 that is another.

Jan 26, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 14
I contacted JDS Labs support about cables and they said I would need a dac also if I wanted to use the amp with my PS4. Is this true?
If you wanted to connect the external headphone amplifier directly to the PS4 Pro, which I believe only has digital audio output, then yes, you would need a DAC.
https://hifimediy.com/SPDIF-9018-DAC
or cheaper
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/890577-REG/Fiio_D03K_Digital_Audio_Analog.html

I believe the PS4 Pro controllers can an analog audio output jack, so the external headphone amplifier might be able to connect directly to the controller.

Apple products usually come with a fairly good DAC function, so just connect the head amp directly to the Macbook's headphone jack.

Jan 26, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 14
If you wanted to connect the external headphone amplifier directly to the PS4 Pro, which I believe only has digital audio output, then yes, you would need a DAC.
https://hifimediy.com/SPDIF-9018-DAC
or cheaper
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/890577-REG/Fiio_D03K_Digital_Audio_Analog.html

I believe the PS4 Pro controllers can an analog audio output jack, so the external headphone amplifier might be able to connect directly to the controller.

Apple products usually come with a fairly good DAC function, so just connect the head amp directly to the Macbook's headphone jack.

Okay thanks for the information! I was going to go with the JDS OL Dac if that was the case. Is the OL dac going to be any different than those cheaper dacs? I’m trying to leave the port on the controller open so if I want to use a microphone.

Jan 26, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 14
Okay thanks for the information! I was going to go with the JDS OL Dac if that was the case. Is the OL dac going to be any different than those cheaper dacs? I’m trying to leave the port on the controller open so if I want to use a microphone.
Yea, go for the JDS OL DAC, I suggested the Hifimediy and FiiO DAC because of the price, but if if your willing to spend more, for the OL DAC, cool.
For a PC, i would normally use the USB connection and you of course need the optical connection for a gaming console (PS4)

Jan 26, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 14
Yea, go for the JDS OL DAC, I suggested the Hifimediy and FiiO DAC because of the price, but if if your willing to spend more, for the OL DAC, cool.
For a PC, i would normally use the USB connection and you of course need the optical connection for a gaming console (PS4)

Will do, thank you for the help. I greatly appreciate all the info!

Jan 28, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #12 of 14

Been doing a little research but still unsure. Will the Fiio D03K be any different in sound quality or is it only cheaper because it has a few less options/inputs/outputs than the OL dac? I would also assume it is cheaper because of where it was made. But is there an audible difference between the Fiio and the OL Dac? Thanks.

Jan 28, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #13 of 14
Been doing a little research but still unsure. Will the Fiio D03K be any different in sound quality or is it only cheaper because it has a few less options/inputs/outputs than the OL dac? I would also assume it is cheaper because of where it was made. But is there an audible difference between the Fiio and the OL Dac? Thanks.
The OL DAC will come with a better DAC chip, but for gaming on a gaming console (PS4), the FiiO D03 should be good enough.
If you watched a lot of Blu-ray movies or listened to HD audio music, then the OL DAC might be more worth it.

Jan 28, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #14 of 14
The OL DAC will come with a better DAC chip, but for gaming on a gaming console (PS4), the FiiO D03 should be good enough.
If you watched a lot of Blu-ray movies or listened to HD audio music, then the OL DAC might be more worth it.

Thank you very much. I’m not doing any critical listening or anything, just like to play games and listen to music without static or unwanted noise. You saved me like $60-$70!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back