Amp for under 200$ matched with Beyer 800 32 or 600 ohm cans
Jun 18, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #16 of 19
See this is the fxxxxx problem with the hifi world. The HD650 can be had for $350! Just call headroom and tell them you want the HD650 and what price they can do it at. I buy all my headphones from headphonesolutions.com Go to the site send them an email and give them my reference.

No negotiation required! Just call and they will give you that price. The hifi world has this HORRIBLE concept of having very high marked up prices. This gives the dealer room to play with and still make a profit. The HD650 should not cost more than $350 from any site. You can buy them from Amazon as well with FREE SHIPPING for $350. If your new to hifi please ask round for advice. I hate to see hard working 17 yr olds waste their money and get caught in this horrible trap that many hifi companies set them. You must understand that a $500 headphone has only $100-$200 worth of parts in it. The rest goes to contributing to the manufacturers reseacrh n dev and nearly 30-40% goes to the dealer. Hence a $500 headphone puts around $150 in the dealers pocket. Thta's $350. Out of this $350 some part has been allocated to customs, taxes and shipping. Hence you are actually buying a $200 headphone for $500. This is why I always say look for good second hand deals or try and buy direct to avoid this hefty dealer amount.

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #17 of 19
Lol $500 for HD650. That's just stupid. I have seen them go for $180us used on the forums here and usually fetch around $280usd used. $350 new is a good price for HD650, but buying used is far preferred for me. Buying new just means I have to waste hundreds of hours (for piece of mind) burning them in before making impressions on them. As far as the DT880 600ohm are concerned, I love them with my MisterX M3. Might do a review of the MAD Ear+ HD and the M3 sometime over the next couple of weeks, but first reactions were that the M3 has better dynamics, much larger soundstage and faster and tighter bass. Maybe I prefer SS with DT880, not tubes?

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #18 of 19
hmm, how much is the M3 or is it the M3 from AMB labs? also in this case of dropped prices.... how much could i find the HD800 balenced for? haha, jk i dont want those yet, but the more and more i look around the matrix m-stage seems really nice for price and all.

and whats the MAD ear?

i was thinking about another side project, the starving student (i am one, jsut not starving) haha. and what is the real use for a preamp? i was thinking about that as well, later down the line of course dont have $$ now

EDIT: also have you guys heard much about the PIMETA v2 or the PPA v2? or maybe reccomend a AMB labs build? because i was thinking about maybe doing 2 DIY projects for my desktop rig, the PIMETA v2  works out to be around 200$ and thats pretty much perfect for me, i havent worked out the others i was maybe thinking the M^3 or the CK2III from AMB.

Jun 22, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #19 of 19
I have decided to buy components for the PPA and the y2 (with full++ y1) i will also be building the PSUs sigma 11 and TREAD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back