Amp for the Sennheiser hd 598s?
Mar 29, 2012 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jwusoccer

100+ Head-Fier
     Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for whoever answers.
I have been looking for an amp/dac for my sennheiser hd 598s for a while, and after doing quite a bit of research, i have decided on the fiio e17? However, i am not sure if it will be any good with the hd 598s, or if there is a better amp out there in the same price range. So does anyone have any recommendations? Any help would be appreciated. 
smile.gif

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
I have been looking for an amp/dac for my sennheiser hd 598s for a while, and after doing quite a bit of research, i have decided on the fiio e17? However, i am not sure if it will be any good with the hd 598s, or if there is a better amp out there in the same price range. So does anyone have any recommendations? Any help would be appreciated. 
smile.gif

Heya,

The HD598 doesn't need much amplification, if any. However, it can benefit from it. The Fiio E17 is a great portable/desktop DAC/AMP unit. You can certainly benefit from the DAC portion, and benefit from having a little amplification, ultimately the idea is to get a clean clear signal that is dead silent when it's supposed to be to those headphones. And the E17 will do it.

Very best,

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
smile.gif

What sources are you hooking the DAC/amp up to?

Mar 30, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 8
I'll be using it with a lod cable with my ipod touch, and with a pc with flac albums through usb. Do you think the sound difference is really worth 140 dollars through these sources?

Mar 30, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
I'll be using it with a lod cable with my ipod touch, and with a pc with flac albums through usb. Do you think the sound difference is really worth 140 dollars through these sources?

Maybe, maybe not. It will be a cleaner signal, more clear, tighter. But it's not going to bring you the low end that you're probably looking for.

You could have taken the HD598 and cost of the E17 and gotten yourself a headphone that sounds like what you're after.

Very best,

Mar 30, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 8
Well im not really looking for a low end. I don't listen to much dubstep, metal, or other bass heavy genres. I'm just looking for things like better instrument separation, sound stage, and just a cleaner sound overall.

Mar 30, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Well im not really looking for a low end. I don't listen to much dubstep, metal, or other bass heavy genres. I'm just looking for things like better instrument separation, sound stage, and just a cleaner sound overall.

A good DAC and flawless/lossless will give you what you seek.

Very best,

Mar 30, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
I'll be using it with a LOD cable with my iPod touch, and with a PC with FLAC albums through USB. Do you think the sound difference is really worth 140 dollars through these sources?

You can not use the E17 DAC with the iPod, but the iPod should have a decent DAC, but it would also be nice to have a better DAC for your PC,
You could get the Fiio E11 and a USB external DAC like the Fiio D3 or D5.
Total would be $95
I believe the E17 and E11 are equal headphone amplifiers.
So you get the Fiio DAC for the PC, and you switch the E11 between the iPod and the Fiio external DAC (attached to the PC).
Or get the Asus Xonar DG ($30) for the PC if you want to add Dolby Virtual Headphone for movies and gaming.
So E11 plus Xonar DG is $95.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back