Amp for the HD595 - 600 Euros max
Jul 17, 2004 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

KtoEto

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
My new HD595 need an amp!
I'm still getting over my crappy old headphones and I'm kind in a shock because I've missed so many details from my favourite CDs for a really long time, I'm looking for an amp which would make my HD595 soar! They deserve it.
Budget 600 Euros max (700 $).
I'm already targeting the Talisman T-3H (good match?).
A new source is coming soon

Jul 17, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by KtoEto
Hi,
My new HD595 need an amp!
I'm still getting over my crappy old headphones and I'm kind in a shock because I've missed so many details from my favourite CDs for a really long time, I'm looking for an amp which would make my HD595 soar! They deserve it.
Budget 600 Euros max (700 $).
I'm already targeting the Talisman T-3H (good match?).
A new source is coming soon

Portable or not ?

Jul 17, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 22
Thre are many for that price range.

Solid state: Corda HA-1 MK2, Ray Samuels XP-7 & Headroom Home will all very easily drive the 595s.

Tube: Singlepower PPX3 (or my used MPX3 buts it not really for sale anymore), Eddie Current HD300, ASL MG Head, Dodd Audio headphone amp (never heard how good this one is), EarMax Pro, and, of course, a Melos SHA-1

I'm sure there are many others I forgot. 600 Euros will buy a great amp on the used market. Do some searches and think about what kind of sound you like and what other people's impressions are. Don't worry, this is not permanent. You will eventually obsess about upgrading in the future now that you're hooked!

Jul 17, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Portable or not ?

Not portable

Thanks for the reply Striker,
I did a quick search and the only one I can find in Switzerland is the ASL MG HEAD, the Corda Ha-1 can be ordered from Germany. The others come from the US (I guess).

Jul 17, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 22
I think I'll have to choose among these:
-ASL MSG HEAD
-Talisman T-3H
-MF X-Cans V3
-Meier Corda HA-1
-Meier Corda HA-2 (640 Euros!)
Has anybody used them with the HD595?

Jul 17, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

I think I'll have to choose among these:
-ASL MSG HEAD
-Talisman T-3H
-MF X-Cans V3
-Meier Corda HA-1
-Meier Corda HA-2 (640 Euros!)
Has anybody used them with the HD595?

640 Euro for the Corda HA-2 is the price inside the EU including VAT.
AFAIK in Switzerland there is no VAT, so your price is 560 Euro plus customs fees.These fees should be low, about 4%, ask your customs authority.
I own a Prehead, soundwise very similar to the HA-2 (with added preamp capabilities).I listened to your Senn through the Prehead, and it sounded great.
The Corda is a top amp, the only downside is its revealing nature.
A technically bad recording doesn't sound good, and in case of MP3 files 128 kbit is no good idea since through the Corda you will be aware of the compression flaws, 192 kbit and up sounds good.
Another amp that should be available at your location is the Rega Ear, my budget recommendation (about 230 Euro).
Detail and resolution of the Rega is inferior to the HA-2, but nevertheless its a good amp with a more forgiving nature.

Jul 17, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Not portable

Thanks for the reply Striker,
I did a quick search and the only one I can find in Switzerland is the ASL MG HEAD, the Corda Ha-1 can be ordered from Germany. The others come from the US (I guess).

What about the Rudistor I've been reading so much about around here? Some of the US stuff could be made to your voltage. Are the import duties too much?

I have a pair of 595s on the way. I am hoping they are everything I've heard them to be. I need a change from the laid back 600/650 sound.

Jul 18, 2004 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmopragma
AFAIK in Switzerland there is no VAT

There is, 7.6% (=602.56 Euros + customs fees)
Paying a little more than 600 is not a problem, though.

Quote:

The Corda is a top amp, the only downside is its revealing nature.
A technically bad recording doesn't sound good, and in case of MP3 files 128 kbit is no good idea since through the Corda you will be aware of the compression flaws, 192 kbit and up sounds good.

I encode my cds with WMP using high quality variable bitrates.

Quote:

Words by Jan Meier about HD595 and crossfeed:
There is a marked difference in soundstage of the two headphones. That on the HD650 is extremely broad and into my head. While listening to this phone I personally really need crossfeed, otherwise I start feeling pretty uncomfortable while listening to certain recordings. The HD595 has angled drivers and what Sennheiser calls E.A.R. technology (Eargonomic Acoustic Refinement). This really seems to help on soundstaging. In stereo-mode the soundstage is more out of the head and forward than that of the HD650. The effect of crossfeed is less pronounced.

The crossfeed filter is not really necessary with the HD595

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryker
What about the Rudistor I've been reading so much about around here? Some of the US stuff could be made to your voltage. Are the import duties too much?

There are so many things that could go wrong, I would rather buy something from the EU, Switzerland even better.

So, I think I'm narrowing my choice between the Meier Corda HA-2 and the Talisman T-3H.

Corda HA-2:
- a little more than 600 Euros
- crossfeed unnecessary with hd595
- from Germany

Talisman T-3H:
+ 573 Euros all incl.
+ available in Switzerland

If only I could A/B them.

Jul 18, 2004 at 8:36 AM Post #10 of 22
[size=small]You may try the wooaudio 3, it's $500.[/size]
www.wooaudio.com
600smile.gif

Jul 18, 2004 at 11:06 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

There is, 7.6% (=602.56 Euros + customs fees)
Paying a little more than 600 is not a problem, though.

Arrrggh, Switzerland just lost 7,6% of its appeal.
Quote:

The crossfeed filter is not really necessary with the HD595

Yes, not really necessary regarding most modern recordings.
Sixties and early seventies recordings are another story, often mastered with instruments or voices placed exclusively into one channel, unlistenable through any headphone except the AKG K1000.
There are even some modern recordings where crossfeed is a must.
An example:
Djivan Gasparyan, Song : Freedom, CD: Black Rock, 1998
I don't know what these armenian sound engineers are smoking.
A sixties-like screwed recording, but a song I would miss.
Nice through a crossfeed effect, unlistenable without.
Quote:

There are so many things that could go wrong, I would rather buy something from the EU, Switzerland even better.

Rudistor is based in Italy (EU) , look here .
Quote:

If only I could A/B them.

That's exactly your greatest problem.
Sure, 600 are enough money to purchase an amp without built-in upgrade urge, but no one here is able to tell you which one is the right amp for your ears.
Maybe you already know about it from lurking around here in guest mode for months, but in case you do not:
There is not one single amp ( or source, or headphones), no matter which price range, that fits into any listeners preferences.
Without the chance of a longer (a few days) auditioning or a liberal return policy you are throwing your 600 into the dark.
600 Euros are not exactly what I'd call pocket money.
Edit: I've just had an idea.
Jan Meier, forgive me.
What you need is a friend across the border in Germany.
The Corda costs 640 in Germany, not much more than the Switzerland price including VAT and customs fees.
The german market has a built-in return policy.
Due to our legislation any item costing more than 40 Euros and that is purchased via mail or internet order can be tested for a period of 2 weeks.
If you don't like it you just have to inform the seller to get full refund.
The item has to be undamaged, naturally.
The seller has even to cover the shipping costs, but I for myself generally pay for the return shipping.
I mean, in the end this is fair for both sides, Jan Meier gets a chance to sell his amp and you don't have to purchase blind, ...ehmmm, deaf.

Jul 18, 2004 at 11:52 AM Post #13 of 22
if i were you for a can like hd595 ( quite upfront sounding , a bit microphinc and leaning towards brightness ) I'd get a tube well resolved amp

I've got the Rudistor RP5 Reference and even if i'm sure i have to buy a very good source to use it on pair with rudi amp , I'm happy with it .

Rudi says the Rudistor RP4 is very close to the Rp5 performance but costs the half of it , the rudistor rp4 should fit the needs and you'll be hardly disappointed , my opinion - but I'd bet on it

Another choice could be a full tube design ( rudi's amp are hybrid state )
one is the earmax pro , you can have it for 600€ on line and it's another very solid perfomer / period, it deliver a smooth , palpable and well resolved sound , add the fact is gorgeous looking and very beautiful tiny thing to have

Jul 18, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

The german market has a built-in return policy.

Given the fact that it's almost impossible to compare things unless you know people who owns them, yours is not a fraudulent idea at all, but I won't do that to Herr Dr. Meier (it seems to me He's a very nice person).
If I'm going to order something from Meier Audio, I'm going to keep it. Thanks anyway, I appreciate your help Cosmopragma.

Rudistor is interesting. I have to do some deeper searchs on the RP4 (RP5 costs too much).
What's bothering me about tube/hybrid amps is the hum. The only experience I have with tube amps comes from the electric guitar. I had a marshall combo and loved its tube sound. It was warm and alive. But it had that hum I really hated. Then I bought a Mesa Boogie, still that hum (the seller told me every tube amp does that).
I hope it's not the same with headphones amp.

Jul 18, 2004 at 2:01 PM Post #15 of 22
Singlepower sells to Europe all the time. For a less than $600 amp I would get the ppx3 hands down. I would add a neutrik jack and the solen stage 1 upgrade which are the best value ppx3 upgrades IMO. Later on add some good nos 6cg7's and your set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back