Amp for the Denon AH-D7000's
Nov 2, 2009 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dugforeva

New Head-Fier
I am looking an amp that would go well with the D7000's. I also need to get a DAC as well, I was thinking of simply going with the Lavry DA11 to kill two birds with one stone.

Would that pairing be sufficient or should I simple get a separate amp that would match the Denon's better? My budget for a solo amp would be 700-800. My budget for a DAC/amp combo would be around $1500.

Just for reference my sources would be the oppo bdp83 multidisc player and lossless audio files from the PC. I listen to a wide variety of music mainly Jazz and hard rock.

Any recommendations would be welcome, thanks!

Nov 2, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dugforeva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking an amp that would go well with the D7000's. I also need to get a DAC as well, I was thinking of simply going with the Lavry DA11 to kill two birds with one stone.

Would that pairing be sufficient or should I simple get a separate amp that would match the Denon's better? My budget for a solo amp would be 700-800. My budget for a DAC/amp combo would be around $1500.

Just for reference my sources would be the oppo bdp83 multidisc player and lossless audio files from the PC. I listen to a wide variety of music mainly Jazz and hard rock.

Any recommendations would be welcome, thanks!

I love tube amps and my combination of Cambridge DacMagic --> Mapletree Ear+HD (w/ Sylvania Grey Plate 5751 tube) is absolutely magical with my D7000s.

Cost of new MAD Ear+HD: $680
Cost of Cambridge DacMagic: $450

Just my two cents. I would however recommend getting a separate DAC/AMP. New DAC chipsets are released every few years and really improve on the previous one, that way you could still keep your amp.

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 12
Interesting, In a couple of other threads I've seen some contention as to whether or not tube amps are good for the Denon's. I think I'd rather go with a solid state one as they require less maintenance, and mroe people seem to favor them for these cans.

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dugforeva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, In a couple of other threads I've seen some contention as to whether or not tube amps are good for the Denon's. I think I'd rather go with a solid state one as they require less maintenance, and mroe people seem to favor them for these cans.

I don't understand your less maintenance comment? The tubes last for years (my last set went 4 years on another device). You can also have fun with tube rolling to change and improve the sound to your tastes...they are warmer sounding and IMO trounce solid state amps!

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 12
I highly recommend an HeadRoom amp. Their signature sound go very well with the Denons.

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by drgameboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get EF1 for amp. it is a hybrid amp and it has awesome synergy with the denons. for dac either get DACMAGIC or V-DAC. dont waste you dang money getting overpriced DACs, you wont even notice a difference imho.

I disagree with drgameboy on DAC differences. I upgraded from a V-DAC to a Bel Canto DAC3 and there was a very clear improvement even with a cheap amp that was DV 336 SE.

I still can recommend the V-DAC as a budget DAC, especially with a better power supply. I bought a Little Pinkie for my V-DAC and the improvement was drastic. Though with the OPs budget maybe go for one of Audio-GD's DACs? I also would recommend separate DAC+amp with that budget.

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #10 of 12
I heard it rocks with phoenix, but that's from a owner, so take it however u like. I used to have woo6 and with low impedance phones, it wasn't great. I wouldn't go with woo amps.

Nov 7, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 12
sorry to jump in your thread dugforeva

I recently bought AH-D7000 and I have DACMagic + Graham slee solo amp

I bought the Graham amp with my old HD650

Should i change the amp and buy better one for the D7000 or no ?

Thank you

Nov 7, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #12 of 12
from my experience with the AHD5000, the headroom ultra amps sound amazing with them, giving them all the power and dynamics they need.

the EF1 also sounds great with those, a little more relaxed tone(with the right tube) than the headroom SS, but not less good. I strongly recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back