Amp for the Beyerdynamics?
Mar 13, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #16 of 21
I have a Rockhopper M3 for my DT-880s which I think sounds wonderful. I have the 627/637 op amp combo on board, I am gonna try AD843s soon.

Lots of people recommended the M3 as a good choice for the DT-880s if you don't want tubes. As a DIY amp its great value and you can get it built exactly to your needs and roll op amps to fine tune it your self.

Mar 13, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
neilpearts M^3 had incredible synnergy with the DT880 I demo'd at the SF meet.

I remember neilpeart's rig at the SF meet, although I don't recall trying it with the DT 880s. I personally think there was great synergy with the M^3 and the CD Player, because I tested it with some Sennheisers and Alessandros.

I love the M^3, based on what I remember, and it seems that a lot of people agree that it works very well with the DT880s.

But I don't have a home stereo system, and I'm not sure you could connect it to a laptop. I do have some stereo -> RCA cables, which I guess would solve the problem, but is that a particularly smart move?

Another issue, I re-emphasize, is space. I think the M^3 is about as big as I can get, in terms of size, but ideally, I'm hoping for something smaller.

Thanks.

Mar 13, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #18 of 21
If you get the M3 without STEPS from Rockhopper its pretty small, about the size of a hardback novel. If you want smaller than that... Firestone Cute is reported to drive the DT-880s well?

Mar 14, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #19 of 21
so the general consensus is a M^3 with the DT880s on a pretty decent rig (actual CD player, with sufficient power to drive it and all), and for a more portable set, the supermacro?

Just out of curiosity, are there any other contenders?

Mar 14, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #20 of 21
Though I don't have DT880's, I can say that my DT770's work absolutely beautifully with my HeadRoom Micro (with desktop module). The combination is exactly what I was looking for.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back