Amp for SRH840 headphones
Apr 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cameron262

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for an amp for my SRH840 headphones. Well actually, I don't really know if I need one at all.

Apparently they are 42Ohm impedance and I'll just be playing folk music mainly through my motherboard (GA-Z68X-UD3-B3) which has apparently got "Realtek ALC889 codec High Definition Audio".

I have a relatively small budget but I'd like to know what my options are with these headphones, or whether I should be considering buying a new audio card too?

Thank you!

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 8
You can start with a cheap Xonar DG (with built in amp) will do things better than your onboard. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 8
i have SRH840's as well and getting a dedicated amp can really make the cans shine. Check out FiiO they have some portable amp/DACs as well as desktop amps. 40ohm is quite low for needed extra power but its high enough where an amp will improve the headphones. Ive noticed with an amp the bass sounds much stronger and smooth. 

If you are looking to get into the audio hobby, check out schiit stack Magni/Modi (its not necessarily the best for budget people) but its a damn good stack for the price and magni can power a wide range of headphones

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Actually the E07ks seems to get better reviews than the E10s, is there anything else under £100 that I should consider?

Yea the E07K would be a great purchase. It has a great DAC in it and its portable with plenty of power to drive the headphones. I would recommend that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back